The most interesting Human Resources case this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
Fascinating - you too can outsource your job to China and surf the web instead. Below is an excerpt of what happened at Verizon. If you haven't seen it yet, it's fascinating and well worth the read. It's hard to believe he'd expose them to such a security risk too.

As it turns out, Bob had simply outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm. Bob spent less that one fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him. Authentication was no problem, he physically FedExed his RSA token to China so that the third-party contractor could log-in under his credentials during the workday. It would appear that he was working an average 9 to 5 work day. Investigators checked his web browsing history, and that told the whole story.

A typical 'work day' for Bob looked like this:

9:00 a.m. – Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos

11:30 a.m. – Take lunch

1:00 p.m. – Ebay time.

2:00 – ish p.m Facebook updates – LinkedIn

4:30 p.m. – End of day update e-mail to management.

5:00 p.m. – Go home

Evidence even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. All told, it looked like he earned several hundred thousand dollars a year, and only had to pay the Chinese consulting firm about fifty grand annually. The best part? Investigators had the opportunity to read through his performance reviews while working alongside HR. For the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks. His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building.

I could handle that work day & salary. Good thing they decided to do log checks. What some employees won't try!

Maybe he was a contractor previously, and thought he could sub-contract out his work :^)

Somewhat related outsourcing issue, this one involving threat of publicity of U.S. patient medical records:

Summary
San Francisco hospital outsources Medical Transcription services to local contractors.
Contractors sub-contract to other contractors.
One foreign sub-contractor does not get paid by U.S. contractor, and threatens to post/publicize patient medical records on the Internet, unless San Francisco hospital reimburses her directly for transcription services performed.

- http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/A-tough-lesson-on-medical-privacy-Pakistani-2552427.php

I read that article. Interesting how much effort people put in to working around not having to work as opposed to actually doing the work itself. I wonder how long it would take to get bored with that daily schedule!

This however, might solve that pesky problem I have of no clone. I have more than enough work to keep several "me"s busy.

Fascinating - you too can outsource your job to China and surf the web instead. Below is an excerpt of what happened at Verizon. If you haven't seen it yet, it's fascinating and well worth the read. It's hard to believe he'd expose them to such a security risk too.

As it turns out, Bob had simply outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm. Bob spent less that one fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him. Authentication was no problem, he physically FedExed his RSA token to China so that the third-party contractor could log-in under his credentials during the workday. It would appear that he was working an average 9 to 5 work day. Investigators checked his web browsing history, and that told the whole story.

A typical 'work day' for Bob looked like this:

9:00 a.m. – Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos

11:30 a.m. – Take lunch

1:00 p.m. – Ebay time.

2:00 – ish p.m Facebook updates – LinkedIn

4:30 p.m. – End of day update e-mail to management.

5:00 p.m. – Go home

Evidence even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. All told, it looked like he earned several hundred thousand dollars a year, and only had to pay the Chinese consulting firm about fifty grand annually. The best part? Investigators had the opportunity to read through his performance reviews while working alongside HR. For the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks. His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building.

I suspect that Bob saw to it that his "contractors" did good work.

After all, Bob remained employed for years.

Nothing to see hear, nothing to do here, as Bob did nothing more than the Fortune 1,000 (and others) havn't been doing for the last 20 years!

Nothing to see hear, nothing to do here, as Bob did nothing more than the Fortune 1,000 (and others) havn't been doing for the last 20 years!
In essence... you're actually right. It's what they have been doing for years but he actually beat them to the punch. Too bad he didn't massage his way into become a very highly paid project manager! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back