The city says they condemned my house, what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinzor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
North Carolina

I recently purchased a house to fix up and live in

I bought it six months ago and have been consistently making repairs and upgrades to it with my own time and money.
I got an electrical and a rennovation permit for the repairs through the county. Everything was OK for about 4 months and then one day i got a notice saying my permits had been revoked because the county had made a mistake.

This month the city came out and disconnected the electric and water from the house, and immediately afterwards told me that since the house has no utilities, that the house is uninhabitable.

Yesterday there was a notice on my door that said "condemned". And a police officer advised me that if i entered the house he would arrest me.

All structural repairs have been already done, there are floors in every room and most of the plumbing is done.

Isnt there a process to go through to condemn a house? Dont they need to inspect it first or something? Are they allowed to just slap a sticker on my door without telling me (I wasnt at the house) and then arrest me for walking in the door?

Looking for some good advice here, had to send the wife and baby over to stay with family until i fix this.

You might consider seeing what a lawyer says. Other responders may come along with other suggestions.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
North Carolina

I recently purchased a house to fix up and live in

I bought it six months ago and have been consistently making repairs and upgrades to it with my own time and money.
I got an electrical and a rennovation permit for the repairs through the county. Everything was OK for about 4 months and then one day i got a notice saying my permits had been revoked because the county had made a mistake.

This month the city came out and disconnected the electric and water from the house, and immediately afterwards told me that since the house has no utilities, that the house is uninhabitable.

Yesterday there was a notice on my door that said "condemned". And a police officer advised me that if i entered the house he would arrest me.

All structural repairs have been already done, there are floors in every room and most of the plumbing is done.

Isnt there a process to go through to condemn a house? Dont they need to inspect it first or something? Are they allowed to just slap a sticker on my door without telling me (I wasnt at the house) and then arrest me for walking in the door?

Looking for some good advice here, had to send the wife and baby over to stay with family until i fix this.

A property can be condemned by a city code enforcement officer, health officer, or building inspector.
The process varies by state and locality.
I suggest you contact the entity listed on the condemnation notice.
You could also speak with your elected city council person and/or mayor.
I'd hold off contacting a lawyer, until you've spoken to the above city officials.
Once you speak with them, ask them how you go about making the necessary repairs to bring the house up to code?
I'm guessing you did your work without obtaining a building permit.
Get that sorted, if you can.
You were probably NOT supposed to be living in the house while premeditating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back