Texas Civil suit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefoo

I just recieved a "courtesy" letter from a P.C stating that he has filed a civil suit on behalf of a large credit card company seeking about $6k for an old 2002 credit card debt of about $2k. I have a few questions hopefully some people here can help answer.

1) As I understand procedure, the suit needs to be filed in the county and precinct in which the defendant lives. This was not done. My address city is in the county in which suit was filed purely for postal delivery reasons. My physical domicile, law enforcemnet service, and taxing authority is located in an unincorporated area of an adjacent county. So is this something that can be used in some way to my advantage? If this went all the way to judgement, could this be used at that point to have the judgement overthrown? Clerical errors have let murderers walk free right? If I stop things early and point it out they can simply take their suit and file in the appropriate county. If they dont know or notice their own mistake I shouldnt point it out to them right?

2) As I understand the law, Texas has a 4 year SOL on this type of debt from the time it was charged off or last had action. How can I find this date without causing said action to be initiated? My credit reports dont give dates of charge off, only an account opened date which was around mid 2002. But I have not had a card from this company in at least 5-6 years.

3) Should I strike pre-emptively before being served any legal or court documents and remove my name from my joint bank checking account? The letter I received was non-certified, no signature or delivery confirmation services of any kind. Hence no evidence of actual delivery for the sending party. So officially I will be presumed to know nothing of this suit until I am served documents. Were this to go against me at some point Wage garnishment or hitting my employer matched 401K for this type of debt wont likely happen in Texas. But a writ of execution against my bank account is a possibility, unless I am no longer a party to the account correct?

4) In the event of a writ of execution for non-exempt property: I have no significant non-exempt property. My home is protected via homestead, my vehicles both have loan balances that are greater than even the high blue book value, and I dont own any of the other fun toys (motorcycles, goKarts, race cars, boats, planes, etc...) With regards to items inside my home, firstly how can it even be determined what I possess and do not possess (do I make a list, does someone come inspect, or something else)? Secondly How can it be determined that an item is actually mine and not that of another person either living in the home or not? For instance one of my items of value would be my firearms. But they were all purchased legally in Face to Face cash in hand transactions which required no background checks and no transfer/ownership documentation. If these firearms were said to belong solely to my wife, The burden of proof to dispute that statement would fall on the person attempting to execute the writ correct? Same would go with virtually all other items in the home. Anything attached to the home such as new appliances would be exempt correct?

Anyway, Never had anything even remotely like this come up in the past. so I am looking for whatever useful info you guys might have. I am sure i will have more questions as things progress.

I just recieved a "courtesy" letter from a P.C stating that he has filed a civil suit on behalf of a large credit card company seeking about $6k for an old 2002 credit card debt of about $2k. I have a few questions hopefully some people here can help answer.

1) As I understand procedure, the suit needs to be filed in the county and precinct in which the defendant lives. This was not done. My address city is in the county in which suit was filed purely for postal delivery reasons. My physical domicile, law enforcemnet service, and taxing authority is located in an unincorporated area of an adjacent county. So is this something that can be used in some way to my advantage? If this went all the way to judgement, could this be used at that point to have the judgement overthrown? Clerical errors have let murderers walk free right? If I stop things early and point it out they can simply take their suit and file in the appropriate county. If they dont know or notice their own mistake I shouldnt point it out to them right?

If this is a small claims case, yes, it must be filed in the JP Court in the precinct in thcounty in which you reside.
The time to object to that is now.
You claim that objection now, the suit fails for lack of proper venue.
This isn't a clerical error.
There are no clerical errors in the law.
There are no technicalities.
These are rights our founders bequeathed to us.
These issues address fundamental fairness, due process, and equality under the law.
If you object, the suit is dismissed.
If you don't, you submit to the court's jurisdiction over you.

2) As I understand the law, Texas has a 4 year SOL on this type of debt from the time it was charged off or last had action. How can I find this date without causing said action to be initiated? My credit reports dont give dates of charge off, only an account opened date which was around mid 2002. But I have not had a card from this company in at least 5-6 years.

You don't have to prove anything, they are suing YOU.
They have to prove their case.
You can ask them for that proof.
They won't have it.

I've defended many of these frivolous lawsuits.
They want you to screw up, so they can get a lien on your home.
Even if they win, they can't get anything.

Texas will not allow them to attach your wages, or force a sale of your home.
All they can do is attach a lien, and wait for you to sell your home one day.
If that never happens, they get nothing!

Just deny each and every allegation.
They don't expect you to answer.
They don't want you to appear in court.

All they want is a default judgment.
You appear, you win.
You ask them for the original contract.
They won't have it.
All they bought was old paper.
They are scammers.
They are con-artists.

3) Should I strike pre-emptively before being served any legal or court documents and remove my name from my joint bank checking account? The letter I received was non-certified, no signature or delivery confirmation services of any kind. Hence no evidence of actual delivery for the sending party. So officially I will be presumed to know nothing of this suit until I am served documents. Were this to go against me at some point Wage garnishment or hitting my employer matched 401K for this type of debt wont likely happen in Texas. But a writ of execution against my bank account is a possibility, unless I am no longer a party to the account correct?

You don't have to do that.
They can't attach your bank account.
Texas is a debtor's state.
Besides, they won't win, if you do as I have advised above.

The only entity in Texas that can attach your wages is the government.
They can do it for back taxes, court ordered fines and fees, child support.
No private entity can attach wages (pensions, 401-K accounts, or most other like assets in Texas).

No, they can NOT levy against your banking accounts.
Texas has constitutional protections against such actions.
Texas frustrates these scammers, legally.
It is our Homestead Exemption Acts.
GFlorida and Texas are two of the most debtor friendly states in the union!

4) In the event of a writ of execution for non-exempt property: I have no significant non-exempt property. My home is protected via homestead, my vehicles both have loan balances that are greater than even the high blue book value, and I dont own any of the other fun toys (motorcycles, goKarts, race cars, boats, planes, etc...) With regards to items inside my home, firstly how can it even be determined what I possess and do not possess (do I make a list, does someone come inspect, or something else)? Secondly How can it be determined that an item is actually mine and not that of another person either living in the home or not? For instance one of my items of value would be my firearms. But they were all purchased legally in Face to Face cash in hand transactions which required no background checks and no transfer/ownership documentation. If these firearms were said to belong solely to my wife, The burden of proof to dispute that statement would fall on the person attempting to execute the writ correct? Same would go with virtually all other items in the home. Anything attached to the home such as new appliances would be exempt correct?

They can't levy against your cars, even if they were debt free.
They can't touch your furniture.
Yes, it is all about our Homestead Exemption.

They won't win.
They only want a default judgment.
Again, you're worrying over anything.
Just don't default.
Fight these demons!

Army judge, Thanks for the thorough response. So once the summons is delivered to me by a court appointed individual. I should contact the court and tell them that I do not live in their county and file any paperwork required to dismiss the suit based on that. Couple of questions if that is my route:

1) Should I then contact the attorneys office and request the information they have regarding the debt they are trying to collect (such as the original contract) or would that re-age the account and create activity on the account?

2) Should I only do that if they refile the suit in my county and precinct? I would assume that they would re-file this suit in the appropriate court upon finding that they have made this type of error.

3) Also I was of the understanding that a writ of execution could be placed against ones bank account in the case of a judgement against you. I realize current wages, my home, and my retirement fund is protected. I just want to be certain that my bank account cannot be attached in the future if this matter comes up again in another court.

Thanks again for your input.

Army judge, Thanks for the thorough response. So once the summons is delivered to me by a court appointed individual. I should contact the court and tell them that I do not live in their county and file any paperwork required to dismiss the suit based on that. Couple of questions if that is my route:

1) Should I then contact the attorneys office and request the information they have regarding the debt they are trying to collect (such as the original contract) or would that re-age the account and create activity on the account?

No, you do not want to do that.
You want to avoid any and all contact with these creatures.
That is the "tarbaby" trap.
That could eliminate the SOL protection that you enjoy today.
Why would you believe ANYTHING they tell you?
No, no, no, no, no, no, a million times NO; make no independent contacts to those scammers!
You should ONLY deal with them in court.

These scammers were NEVER owed anything by you, assuming the debt is valid.
They bought old paper.
They purchased it for about 2-3 cents on every dollar!
If they get YOU to give them 50 cents on the dollar as a settlement, because they SCARE you; they make money!

This is LEGALIZED extortion.
They are allowed bring these frivolous lawsuits in JP court, because JP'S make money off the filings and service.
These scammers want default judgments.
They know they can't defend.
They want you to default and then they obtain a lien to attach on your home.

This isn't about the debt.
This is about a scam.

2) Should I only do that if they refile the suit in my county and precinct? I would assume that they would re-file this suit in the appropriate court upon finding that they have made this type of error.

I can't predict what these diabolical and evil scammers will try.
They usually do as you suggest.
I represented a woman recently on just such a case as yours.

These scammers then refiled in her correct prcinct and county, after I got the first case dismissed.
We won the next time on the fact that they had nothing to prove that she owed them anything.

Remember this line: Produce my original contract, but even IF you could, the SOL has run. This debt is unenforceable under Texas law.

They can't because that is NOT what they bought.
This is nothing more than a scam.
Unlike a street thug using a gun, these crooked demons rob you with reams of paper.

3) Also I was of the understanding that a writ of execution could be placed against ones bank account in the case of a judgement against you. I realize current wages, my home, and my retirement fund is protected. I just want to be certain that my bank account cannot be attached in the future if this matter comes up again in another court.

If you do what I've instructed you, none of these dark and ominous things will happen.
That debt is too old for them to collect on, unless you do something OTHER than I've instructed.
Or, if you do it in a way OTHER than I've dictated it to be done.
These are scammers.
Even IF you owed this debt to someone else, you never owed it to these scavengers.
They want you to misstep.
They ONLY want a default judgment.
If you do ONLY what I've told you, they will never get a default judgment.
Yes, it is possible, but VERY difficult.
Texas is very debtor friendly.
It all has to do with the days of our early formation as a Republic.
It is a creature of our constitution.

Last edited:
Hello Ikefoo,How are you? i have a very similar case they suit me in a different county than the one i live, what happened to your case did they dismiss it, did you prove you reside in another county did this helpe, tks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back