termites in my rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristinann

me and my roommate moved into a new rental home in the middle of january. we later found termites. the owner had a termite guy come over to check the house. this was over a month ago. he said that the house needed to be tented. and that they were drywood termites. also there is cracked tiles that have not been fixed and the termite guy said its a good chance the tile is ruined because of termites. the termites are also all over the house. they were found in the garage, kitchen, masterbedroom and a spare bedroom. i have expensive furniture in my house and am worried they will get ruined. The owner still has done nothing to fix the problem, they have only said they will send more termite guys over to get more quotes. Because the landlord has yet to fix the problem and are unsure if they want to pay to get it fixed are we legally able to break our lease?

Yes, if the infestation isn't remedied, you can legally break the lease.
First read your lease.
become very familiar with the lease.
Understand every provision of it, because it will determine your fate.

Under Arizona law the only circumstance in which a tenant can break or terminate a lease early is when the landlord has failed to maintain the premises in a safe and habitable condition.

That is your issue.

The termites are destroying the house and your belongings.

That is how you'll be able to break the lease.

http://www.arizonatenants.com/breaklease.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back