Termination while pregnant because I told employer I would not return after birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarapie628

I work at a law firm pushing papers. I was hired 3 months ago and before I was offered the job I told them I had recently found out I was pregnant. They still hired me knowing this. Well, I have recently been pressured by them to tell them if I plan on coming back after the birth. I finally gave in and told them the truth, no I am not planning on returning, (my husband is military and may need to deploy soon). They requested I put it in writing for them including my last day (3 months from now), so I did. Well I can hear them having conversations with HR and I have high suspisions that they are trying to figure out how to get rid of me know. I know there is another person they are hiring and it sounds like it is for the same job I currently have.
A friend of mine said that since I have advised them I was not planning on returning, they are now legally able to terminate me and I was no longer protected by the EEOC or FMLA. I need to know if this is true or if I have any legal recourse.

Your friend is correct. They are not planning to term you because you are pregnant (which would be illegal) but but because you are not planning to return (which is legal). FMLA was never an issue; you have not worked there long enough to qualify, so FMLA would not protect you in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back