Termination procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramtime

Is it law that employers are required to have an exit meeting with the terminated employee and how long after termination should it be scheduled.[ California.]

No. There is no such law. Exit interviews are entirely optional on the part of the employer.

cbg [Question,Response]

cbg said:

No. There is no such law. Exit interviews are entirely optional on the part of the employer.

Here is another question and what do you think:

A person who works in a school district is on administrative leave with pay for disciplinary actions that warrent termination.The School Board recommends immediate dismissal on the 17th. The terminated employee recieves the letter of notice for the Boards decision of dismissal on the 26th, 9 days later. Then at the end of the month the employee recieves his normal monthly paycheck with everything still in check like vacation and sick time accumulations.Its been over 2 weeks and the employee hasen't recieved anything from there human resources about his dismissal and post termination information?.

What is your opinions.

My opinion is that the employee needs to get on the phone to the employer and find out what is going on. If the employee is being paid in error, the employer can, and most likely will, require him to repay them and the sooner he clears up the mistake, the better. The fact that it is the employer's mistake, assuming that there is a mistake, does NOT mean that the employee can keep the money.

FYI, nothing in the law requires the employer to provide you with a written notice of termination. You are still well within the period within which the employer can legally provide you with information regarding COBRA and other benefit conversions, if required.

cbg [response]

FYI, nothing in the law requires the employer to provide you with a written notice of termination.

In California the terminated employee's final paycheck must be provided to them on their last day of work [Labor Code - 201]?.

Employer has been contacted and waiting a response.

Ramtime said:
FYI, nothing in the law requires the employer to provide you with a written notice of termination.

In California the terminated employee's final paycheck must be provided to them on their last day of work [Labor Code - 201]?.

Employer has been contacted and waiting a response.

True. But that isn't what you asked. You asked about "anything from HR about his dismissal and post termination information". The last time I looked, HR was not Payroll.

cbg

cbg

True. But that isn't what you asked. You asked about "anything from HR about his dismissal and post termination information". The last time I looked, HR was not Payroll.
12-11-2004 10:12 PM

cbg. You are right. In my issue I caught my employer and there human resources in lies,falsifying charges and breaking education codes so they know what they are doing. My case goes to a judge in Jan and then the problems begin with my employer!.

Rediculous

I was fired on June 1st. It was sort of a shock to me, especially when my boss of 24 years gave me his reason. You see, he claimed that I returned to work late after my vacation. Of coarse I didn't agree. Besides all that, the day that I did return his statement to me was,"I'm all Rudy'd out.( my name being Rudy). So my comment to him was," fine, Im not going to argue about it with you, so I packed up and left. Now, prior to being fired we received an employees handbook that stated,"no employee would be terminated without arbitration." There was no such thing in my case. During all of the years I had worked for this man I was verbally abused to the extreme and also threatened with bodily harm! My wife has always felt I should have done something about those cituations. What do you think?

Have you contactd HR at all regarding your termination?

If you did nothing about all your harassment in the past, why didn't you report it?
It is unclear if anything illegal occured. In most cases you can be fired for any reason.

Are you sure the handbook says exactly that? No employee will be terminated without arbitration??? It's possible of course but that would be an extremely unusual (and odd) policy to have.

It's more likely that the Handbook may say something about employees being required to go through arbitration before taking any legal action against the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back