Termination of parents rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior01

I have an 8 year old severly disabled son. I was awarded cusodial custody of him, through a CPS case....The father and I are seperated, it was a common law marriage..We have 2 other children together, his parents have custody of them...I need info on how to go about getting the father's rights terminated of the child I have now (the disabled one). He does not pay child-support(which was ordered through the courts) nor does he visit the child. I have tried to arrange visitation with him (I would meet him somewhere), He was ordered to supervised visitation only though, to be done through kidshare(but he would have to pay for this). I want him to relinquish his rights and have asked him to do this many of times..He says that he won't unless I relinquish my rights of the two other children.. I have concerns that if anything was to happen to me, he would be able to take the child(due to money) or the state would take him and I don't want either to happen...I am also in the process of having a will done up.....I need to know what do or can I do??? and what is the cheapest way of getting it done...I am a single parent at the time so money is very tight...Please help me...This is really starting to worry me....

You don't get to remove other parents rights the court does and that is not easy. Unless you have remarried and your current husband is willing to adopt your chances are almost zero. However you could consult a Lawyer to see if there might be some avenues available

You cannot terminate his rights if you are single. If he is not paying CS then take him to court for contempt. Tax payers shouldnt have to support the child and that is what would happen if Dad termi8nated his rights.

He was ordered to pay me $100/month as I was ordered to pay $75/month to his parents who have our other two children....Neither of us are paying....If I was paying relistically I would only be getting $25/month...How far does $25 go with a severely disabled child.....Yeah I work, but I always have to take off due to dr's appts and stuff....And what's the difference of him terminating his rights and just not doing anything???? And as far as tax payers supporting him....If the government health system wasn't so fucked up as it is, they wouldn't be supporting him....My childs prescriptions alone are over $2000/month not to include all his supplies and special formula he is on, cause he is fed through a feeding tube.....The list goes on, it just wil never add up for him not to be on government assistance, such as medicaid, which tax payers pay....He has an amazing life here at home with me, but he is expensive....

Him terminating his rights though is not going to do anything if he doesnt pay and doesnt see the child.

My whole reason for wanting to get his rights terminated is due to that if anything happens to me(die) then he would be able to take the child for money profit or make the choice to give him to the state.....That is what I am trying to prevent...I need to be able to live my life knowing that if anything happens to me, my son will be taken care of.....Just some info...I am only 25 years old....I am thinking and trying to prepare for the future...MY son is the most important thing in my life....

Do you not understand my reason's for wanting his rights terminated???? It is so that I know my child will be ok if I were to die or something.....That is my only reason behind the whole thing....I don't want his money I don't want nothing from him, and my son does not need anything from him.....I don't need the worst case scenario to happen...I die...And he gets my son...and then my son will die due to neglect...physically and medically....Do you get that????

The time not to want him was "before" you ripped your clothes off!:yes: He is the child's Father and has same rights as you! You can seek supervised visits only. But you cant on your own strip his rights away. You can petition court but best you can hope for is "supervised visits only" You two are forever bound through this child. If you marry stayed married about one year. Then your husband can adopt child and hopefully Dad will sign TPR. However no matter what you say you cannot take his rights away.

HOW RUDE first off...Second that's all he is order to have right now is supervised visits. So, your saying that right now it is stated through the courts he is an endangerment to my child or that my child is at serious risk being with him....But, when I die, he can just come in and the courts will give him custody????? That is what I don't want...I could care less about what he does or doesn't do while i'm alive....He is not around so I don't have to put up with his crap...I'm worried about when the time comes when I am no longer on this earth....Will the courts see my point of view on that???

Junior, you need to stop. You received the legally correct answer in the very first response, but you continued to argue and even used the f word. That's not allowed on this forum.

You need to see a lawyer, which was also advised in the very first response. I assume you live in Texas. Texas is possibly the only state that allows TPR without serious physical abuse against the child or some other very serious factors, and without a stepparent to adopt. That's why you need to consult a lawyer. There may be a possibility of TPR for you, although the chances seem slim based on your posts.

Your reasons for wanting termination are not legal reasons. They're speculation. It is doubtful that the court will grant TPR just so that your ex cannot get custody in the event of your death. Again, you need to see a lawyer who can advise you of your options.

Thank you all for your responses.....I consulted a lawyer today, and I am in the process of getting it done..... He will also be held on contempt of court as well will his parents....Again thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back