Termination of Parental Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

2boys

I have am an unwed mother of 2. Their father wouldn't know them if he saw them in public, he never visits, has no interest in knowing them, etc. but says that he will gladly pay child support (well, not gladly but he'd prefer to pay than know them).
Anyway, my mother and family live in other countries and when I tried to get a pasport for my children I was told I needed the father's consent. The father refused citing that 'he didn't like to sign things'. I was advised to get the authorization showing my sole custody of the children, my state acknowledged this and was willing to give any information needed, the feds said no, they want further documentation, basically I would have to terminate the father's rights to have legal sole custody and the therefore the authority to make all their decisions.
So here I sit now having filed a termination of rights case in juvenile court all for the sake of a friggin passport for my children to get to know their families.
What are the chances I will win based on abandonment?
Will he still have to pay child support?

termination of rights

I was just in a courtroom about 2 weeks ago when a mother was trying to do almost the exact thing- have him sign a passport so they could see their family. The judge ripped the guy to shredds and made him sign on the spot. I'm not sure if you have someones rights terminated how hard it would be to collect child support but I can imagine fairly hard. One thing I've learned is the judges don't always follow the rules and I can forsee him/ her feeling sorry for your husband and looking down on you if you are wanting him to pay but not have the opportunity to see them. Thats not neccessarily my opion but it is real life experiences and endless research that make me feel the way I do. Good Luck.

If you are unmarried, chances are extremely slim they will terminate rights. That will relieve him of his future child support obligations (but he would still owe any arrears) and the government doesnt want the tax payers to support the kids, rather than him.

So to terminate his rights on the basis he won't sign a passport is probably not going to happen, but I suppose the judge can order him to sign.

If there is a threat you will take the kids out of the country and not return them, that could be an issue too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back