termination of employment

adams

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
The principal of my school pressured me to fake grades at the end of the first semester. I did the clerical work and I averaged the grades to her satisfaction but I did not change the grade in my grade book. She asked me to sign the change of grades forms I declined. I felt this is an admission of guilt save that if the central administration office audits the grade and my signature on the form I will be in a peril. She reprimanded me. I replied with evidence document showing she was engaged in manipulating grades, harassment, intimidation, bullying, and requested that the reprimand be rescinded. She rescinded the reprimand, was suspended one week without pay, and denied renewal of contract. I was denied renewal of contract in the school district for life. No reason was given on the paper but it was a retaliation for my audacity to challenge the principal in that manner. I am not tenured teacher.

Is there a Federal or state law that makes it illegal to force a teacher to fake grades?

Suppose there is. I don't believe there is but we'll someone else address that. She's already been fired. What more do you think the school district should do?

Is there a Federal or state law that makes it illegal to force a teacher to fake grades?

There is no such statute that allows administrators to demand a K-12 teacher or higher education professor to change student grades for any reason.

There are in many educational institutions (public and private) administrative appeal mechanisms whereby students (or their parents) can appeal a grade that defies actual student progress, or which was given to retaliate against the student.

In fact, quite to the contrary, public policy has demanded for centuries that educators be allowed great latitude to evaluate the progress of their students without undue influence from superiors.

There is no way for anyone on this board to know with certainty sufficient to provide you with a legal doctrine under which you can pursue a remedy for what you seem to believe was an unfair termination.

Suppose there is. I don't believe there is but we'll someone else address that. She's already been fired. What more do you think the school district should do?

I am fired too on the basis of insubordination. This was may last employment and am unable to get a job.

I followed her directive to modify the grades but I declined putting my signature on the change of grades forms. That was considered insubordination.

Last edited:
There is no such statute that allows administrators to demand a K-12 teacher or higher education professor to change student grades for any reason.

The change of grade is in fact faking grade. The whole thing began early in the semester. The principal told me in front of the students in the class no one will get less than 75. This was followed by a hand written note "ensure that no one has less the 75, delete the grade, create new ones and call them update". I pointed out to her that I have two students do not do anything, no homework, no tests, no class participation, nothing, and I have one student on the roster but I haven't seen him in the class (indeed that student did not show up in the class throughout the semester), she insisted to give them 75. I checked with other teachers what grade they put on a paper the student does not turn in. they all said 0.

The students quit turning in papers. The last week of the semester they asked me if they could turn in their homework and take the test now. I allowed. About 5 students insisted not to turn in their papers, they felt they are entitled to have 75, and a few students averaged between 70 and 74; a few others averaged a few points less than 70 I rounded their grades to 70.

Now, in this context, could the principal's action be considered coercion, intimidation, harassment, bullying, or other offenses?

Now, in this context, could the principal's action be considered coercion, intimidation, harassment, bullying, or other offenses?

Could be.

What are you prepared to do about it?

Get a lawyer and sue the school (or district)?

If the answer to that last question is no, then you are done.

What would have happened if you had given the zero's where you felt they were warranted?

Did your contract have a clause guaranteeing renewal?

If you can prove, rather than allege, it seems to me you have a cause of action for which a legal remedy can issue.

If you have those supporting documents ordering you to pass all of your sweet, precious, delicate, snowflakes with a grade of 75 (or HOGHER); your position is beginning to improve.

Therefore, I suggest you make appointments with no fewer than four labor law or employment lawyers to discuss your situation.

Don't worry about paying, as normally the first visit is free of charge.

That way you get to hear what local attorneys advise regarding your predicament.

Let us know after you've met with the attorneys what the considered opinion is.

Back