Terminated because fired from a prior employer, before merger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeltrouble

I know Florida is an at will state. However, I was fired by Company A in 2004. The termination was for "violation of company policy", and I was ineligible for re-hire with Company A. There was no malfeasance, or true wrong doing. I was fired for sending/receiving personal emails at work (not offensive or inappropriate, just not work related) and using the internet at work to view web pages that were not work related. I did not pursue this legally, since I felt had no reason to do so, due to being in an at will work state.

Fast forward to 2008. I now work for company B, and was hired by them in 9/2008. Company A bought Company B, the sale is to be completed by the end of the year. Last week, I received a firm offer for a promotion and relocation, within company B. I have an email from the recruiter confirming that it was a firm offer of employment. My background check was completed in September, before I was hired by Company B, and I never withheld any information. I booked plane tickets, movers, etc, in order to relocate on short notice. I was notified today, that because I was ineligible for re-hire with Company A, not only would I not get the promotion, but I was immediately terminated.

Is this legal? I know its not right, but is there legal grounds for me being fired by a company I dont presently work for?

They do not need "legal grounds" to fire you. You can be fired for any reason that does not specifically violate the law. This does not.

It's a shame, but it's not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back