Tennant Eviction (cited airbnb but airbnb listing gave 0 sublets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennant

I was served with a Notice of Termination for my rent by my landlord and I need help responding. I live in New York. I live with my roommate.

Termination is effective in 13 days time, requiring me to leave my apartment by then and vacate.
The grounds for termination are that "we have used the apartment as a hotel by different people", which is untrue. We believe the landlord found my roomate's airbnb ad (which has resulted in 0 rentals to date and 10 views); note the lease is in my name, not my roommates - and I did not personally review the airbnb ad. They allege we are "profiteering, that we are staying elsewhere while leasing our apartment out, and that there are testimonials from guests", all of which is untrue.
They ask me to reach out to their attorney if I wish to discuss. I would like to dismiss these claims and continue our lease, but am unsure how to proceed.
Immediate question: should my roommate close the airbnb listing now?
Subsequent question: should I contact the attorney directly, or have a lawyer reach out; i.e. how should I respond? Should I personally write a letter to the landlord, explaining what occured above or what could you advise?

Thank you.

Thanks.

I was served with a Notice of Termination for my rent by my landlord and I need help responding. I live in New York. I live with my roommate.

Termination is effective in 13 days time, requiring me to leave my apartment by then and vacate.
The grounds for termination are that "we have used the apartment as a hotel by different people", which is untrue. We believe the landlord found my roomate's airbnb ad (which has resulted in 0 rentals to date and 10 views); note the lease is in my name, not my roommates - and I did not personally review the airbnb ad. They allege we are "profiteering, that we are staying elsewhere while leasing our apartment out, and that there are testimonials from guests", all of which is untrue.
They ask me to reach out to their attorney if I wish to discuss. I would like to dismiss these claims and continue our lease, but am unsure how to proceed.
Immediate question: should my roommate close the airbnb listing now?
Subsequent question: should I contact the attorney directly, or have a lawyer reach out; i.e. how should I respond? Should I personally write a letter to the landlord, explaining what occured above or what could you advise?

Thank you.

Thanks.

Termination of your lease in 13 days is at your discretion.
If you don't voluntarily leave, your landlord has to go to step two: filing a formal eviction action.

Read these links:

http://www.lawny.org/index.php/hous...self-help-142/48-general-eviction-information

http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Booklets/Nonpaymentevictioncases.pdf

http://www.landlordguidance.com/eviction-notice-forms/new-york-eviction/

What you need to know, a mere filing of an eviction can make it impossible for you to rent a decent place for decades.

In some cases, many people say impossible.

If you just leave in 13 days, that very harmful consequence won't befall you.

Be smart, stop your rommie's efforts to make small amounts of money at the risk of perpetual homelessness, or living in squalor for decades.

Trust me, an eviction filing will ruin you.

You might also get rid of your roomie.

People that rent rooms are often doing so because of the aforementioned reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back