tenant terminate the lease, leaving without pay and changed the locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

penglei20120

We live in Virginia. and I rented a two floor townhouse to a couple on 04/01/2012 with one year lease. They paid July's rental weeks later. They have not paid their August rental yet. I sent them some text message around 08/20/2012, and on 08/27/2012, someone in that community sent me an email and told me that my property was vacated. I went there and see the first floor was empty. I could not verify if the second floor was empty or not because they changed the locker and did not provide a copy of key to me. I tried to reach at them but cannot find them. No one tell me where they have been. I did go to the local police station filed an "5 day notice" to ask for the rental on 08/31/2012, and the police just posted the notice on the door.
I have two questions:
1. Can I find a locker smith now to unlock the door and change the locker now? If yes, do I need to ask police or anyone as witness?
2. What is my next step? should I continue the regular evection notice?

You have done all you need to. Having posted the notice of abandonment (make sure you do it according to your state's procedure) you will be in control of the property when the time passes.
No witnesses necessary to enter the house.
Clean it up and rent it again as soon as you like.

Thanks, could anyone tell me on how to post the notice of abandoment in Virginia? Thanks again.

You have done all you need to. Having posted the notice of abandonment (make sure you do it according to your state's procedure) you will be in control of the property when the time passes.
No witnesses necessary to enter the house.
Clean it up and rent it again as soon as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back