Tenant is not responding, 10 days late...what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemie11

I have a commercial photo studio in Los Angeles, in which I rent out monthly to other photographers. I have a lease with a tenant that is now month to month. He has paid late every month since September, and accumulated quite a bit in late fees. This month he has not paid his rent at all, nor has he responded to any text, phone call nor email concerning is tardiness. I learned from a second party that he has started renting elsewhere, with no notice to me. He has the key and our security key card.

Our lease requests a 30 day notice to leave, $10 a day late fee, a $150 lock replacement fee if a key is lost a $75 security card fee. I have his $450 deposit.

Before this month he had a $120 outstanding late fee balance..
What do I do now? how long do I wait before this escalates? I've never had this occur after years of renting out my space...

You can forget it, or you'll have to sue him in small claims.
However, winning in sma claims won't get you your money.

If you prevail, you'll receive a judgment in which you'll have to collect.

For small amounts, it is often more hassle than it is worth.
Why?
Because a deadbeat doesn't care if you hold a judgment against him when he still has your money.

Some people sue because it is cathartic.

Otherwise, it is an exercise in frustration and futility.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Ive heard stories of the nightmares of trying to collect in small claims. Alright, I may just move on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back