Tenancy at Will

Cbroc

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello,
I am wondering what my options are for my situation. My in-laws live in a house on our property. 10 months ago we told them that we are putting our house on the market and they need to find a place to live. They did noting about it. About 6 months ago, I gave them approximate dates to move out. They still did nothing. I gave them exact dates about 3 weeks ago because we went under contract with a purchase of our next home. I have told them both verbally and in text from the very beginning. They just now started to look and to no ones surprise, they are panicking but still not taking the dates seriously. Do I still need to give them a 60 day notice (they have lived with us for 6 years) because it wasn't formally written and given to them by certified mail or on their front door? We cannot put the house on the market until we fix their house. (Strong cigar and cat urine smell.) Very soon, it will put an extreme financial burden on us. (Which they are aware of.) What are my options? Thank you in advance.

If they won't leave voluntarily, you'll have to evict them in accordance with the applicable law. I suggest retaining an attorney to assist you so that everything is done properly.

For clarification, tenant at will procedure is the same as if we had a contract?

Yes.

Thank you for your responses. For clarification, tenant at will procedure is the same as if we had a contract?

A month to month contract would have the same procedure.

A lease with a specific duration would have to wait until the ending of that duration.

Back