Teen found dead at CO wilderness shack with his mom & aunt down to 40 pounds, autopsy finds

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Colorado
A14-year-old boy struggled to survive at a remote Colorado campsite, where he, his mother and aunt set out to live "off the grid," before he wasted down to 40 pounds and all three died of malnutrition and hypothermia, autopsy reports released Wednesday shows.

Survival-type guides and empty food tins — but no food — were strewn across a wooded campsite in Gunnison County where investigators in July found Christine Vance, 41, Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's son, according to the Gunnison County Coroner's office autopsies.

The bodies of the three Colorado Springs residents were all badly decomposed when a hiker first discovered the boy's body outside a tent. A day later, investigators unzipped the blue tent to find the two women inside.

None were injured, though they were all extremely thin, the reports said. The average weight for a 14-year-old boy is 112 pounds, according to the CDC. The high-elevation campsite where they were found received several feet of snow and saw several days of below-zero temperatures last winter. No heaters were found in their tent.

The trio went missing in October after telling their family they were going to live off the grid and survive in the wilderness. Their relatives tried to stop them after hearing of their plans, but didn't know where they were headed, one told The Colorado Springs Gazette. None had outdoor survival experience, the newspaper reported.

The coroner previously told The Colorado Sun they likely started camping in July 2022.

Investigators found them wearing several layers of clothing and necklaces with cross pendants around their necks, the reports said. Clasped next to Christine Vance's wooden cross was a whistle.

A hiker saw the boy's body outside of the tent July 9 in a dark patch of timber about 1,000 feet from a campsite at the Gold Creek Campground, northeast of Gunnison. The remote campground is not visible from the dirt Forest Service road that leads to the area, Sheriff Adam Murdie previously told The Sun.

Teen found dead at Colorado campsite with his mom and aunt was down to 40 pounds, autopsy finds
:::::::::::::::::::::::>

I had read about this unfortunate find a few days ago. The Rocky Mountain wilderness is a dangerous place for anyone who does not have any knowledge of how to survive in those kinds of elements. It's especially dangerous in the the winter, and it's unfortunate they chose to stay there after the onset of winter. There was no indication that they took any kind of steps to protect themselves against the harsh winter elements in those mountains or take the time to learn about how to survive in those conditions. It appears that is what utimately lead to their demise. Food is, of course, harder to find in the mountains in the winter. What I can't fathom is why, once food ran out and they started having trouble finding it, one or more of them didn't leave the camp site to head to town at least buy some food. City living in today's world does absolutely nothing to prepare a person for extended living in any wilderness. Just making a decision one day that you want to live "off the grid" and head into the mountains with the supplies you scrounged up from home is just incredibly short sighted and rather stupid, frankly. From what I've seen over the last decade or two it strikes me that more and more people over time have seemingly lost their common sense, if they ever had it to begin with.

From what I've seen over the last decade or two it strikes me that more and more people over time have seemingly lost their common sense, if they ever had it to begin with.

Well said, I agree with your sound reasoning.

I've long held the belief that today's human being is far weaker, less hardy, and lacking something our ancestors prized, "horse sense", sometimes called "mother wit".

If there are other intelligent species somewhere in the cosmos, we'd be conquered in well inside of 60 minutes.

I wonder if the tragic ending is exactly what one, perhaps both adults desired by embarking on such a risky adventure?

What I can't fathom is why, once food ran out and they started having trouble finding it, one or more of them didn't leave the camp site to head to town at least buy some food.

Well... there is a link between executive function and diet, isn't there? Perhaps it started with stubbornness but once things started to turn dire they couldn't think straight enough to engage in such problem solving.

Then again, think of all the warnings before snow storms/hurricanes to make sure to have food to get through the event if power goes.

Well... there is a link between executive function and diet, isn't there? Perhaps it started with stubbornness but once things started to turn dire they couldn't think straight enough to engage in such problem solving.

That's certainly a possibility. I wouldn't think all three would be that stubborn, but perhaps they were. Or the one or two who weren't so stubborn were prodded by the true believer to stay and make a go of it with what they had. Any way I look at, there's a lot of stupidity involved in this adventure.

Then again, think of all the warnings before snow storms/hurricanes to make sure to have food to get through the event if power goes.

I'm going to guess they did not have a solar or hand cranked power radio to get those alerts. It probably didn't cross their mind that something like that would be needed (and just generally useful) when they set off to the mountains. I keep one of those kinds of radios at home in case of power outages or if I'm heading out to some remote spot, even for a day. It's small, easy to carry, and includes a flashlight and signal light light too. It's just a matter of planning ahead for things that might reasonably occur. Power outages happen, so people should be prepared with some basic survival stuff even at home. It seems like fewer people do that anymore. Maybe more kids ought to join organizations like the Boy Scouts to learn some of this stuff. I suppose that among today's kids the Scouts are seen as old fashioned and the Scouts likely don't have the popularity they once did.

Then again, think of all the warnings before snow storms/hurricanes to make sure to have food to get through the event if power goes

Yes, lots to consider for sure.

As far as I'm concerned adults behaving badly doesn't bother me, because I'd never allow myself to become enmeshed with hoodlums.

The death of a child always saddens me.

I think back on my childhood and the trust I'd place in my parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.

That trust was never betrayed, just as the trust still maintained between my adult children and me, as well as my grandkids, greatgrands, greatgreatgrands, nieces, and nephews.

The death of the 14 year old child has saddened me deeply.

I bean a bad man or woman.

I were acted like the baby.

I so sorry.

I were wrong four being so abuse of them nicest peepulls.

Now I cry alone.

I always say them nawty words.

I no I bee wrong.

Back