1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Teen charged for child support based on one month of high income

Discussion in 'Child Support' started by ladybuglake, Apr 24, 2019.

  1. ladybuglake

    ladybuglake Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    North Carolina
    Teen 19, was surprised when recently notified for a DNA test, on a child 3 yr old. He works fast food at 10.00 an hour, and worked 60 hour weeks for a month, and that is the month they are using to base his income on. His work is seasonal. that same month, the mother of the child quit her job.
    Can they base a years wages on one good month? Will she have to assume some responsibility for her part financially?
    She lives with her mother, and he pays rent to his mother.
    She had another persons name on birth certificate until after the DNA test.
  2. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    They are going to base the income off whatever was submitted at the time.

    When I divorced my ex husband he didn't have a job. The minimum child support in the state we divorced in is $50 a month. Well then my lawyer figured out what a 40 hour minimum wage work week would be compared to my income...it came out to $86 a month for our daughter. He hasn't had a steady job since Dec 2016. It still sits at $86 a month. Even when he made more than a minimum wage job because he nor I modified it. When he has a job the state gives me $25 a week and then like $50 a week for the other two and I can't remember what for the oldest. I end up getting $100 a month- they can only take so much even with him owing $21,000+ for all four.

    So he hasn't even taken a DNA test I see after reading it. He got notified to take one. Kind of odd after 3 years and he wasn't named but seems the other guy took one and he isn't the biological father.

    I think your friend needs to go talk to a lawyer.
  3. justblue

    justblue Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Who are you in this situation?

    It's better if the legal party joins and posts for himself.
    Zigner likes this.

Share This Page