Teacher abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevea66

My jurisdiction is: Arizona

Hello.

My complaint could fall into several categories, but I'll give you the skinny as succinctly as possible. It's tough, though, because there's so much to say.

I'm a drama teacher and was recently informed of the decision to cut the program. I was given a 90-second standing meeting, during which the principal showed me a scratch pad with my name on it. He had no real explanation other than to say the 'numbers' weren't good on registration. And that certification was an issue. I just completed my coursework for certification and they all knew I was on track to do so.

Numbers don't really make any sense as I served more students than two other teachers in my department (one of which is not 'highly qualified' under NCLB and has never been asked to even take coursework). On top of higher student counts in classes, I also have a club that serves 40 students who produce original works for stage and film. It's an empowering club for many troubled students who have no other venue in which to explore their creative potential. The other two teachers produce less and their 'clubs' are actually done in class, where students earn credit. Mine is completely voluntary - the kids do it because they want to and get so much from the program.

I teach in the auditorium, which is also used for other events and meetings. All I have ever asked is that if an event is going to be in there, that I get advanced notice so that I can plan my curriculum around another space. For six straight years, my classes have been interrupted, moved, invaded...and I was unable to get admin to follow a simple process for booking the space. I even took over doing all the bookings myself in order to avoid being relocated at the last minute. That failed, because while teachers had no problem completing a reservation form and getting it approved, admin continued to surprise me with last-minute events. My kids were even getting ticked off by it.

I have made numerous requests to solve this problem, but to no avail. If admin so blatantly demonstrates that they have no respect for the class, what are the kids supposed to think?

Over time, I made numerous requests for repairs, which were largely ignored until the week before an event that was near and dear to administrators. So, months after my requests were ignored, suddenly repairs were being done right in the middle of my class (swarms of maintenance guys would storm the place, going up and down on a scissors lift next to me while lecturing, working on stage when my kids were supposed to be, the list goes on).

My office was a steady 90 degrees until just weeks ago (right before the event when they needed it cool in the other dressing room). This has gone on year after year, without fail. I've had personal items stolen and got no response. I learned that the AC filters hadn't been changed for years. I requested a fire extinguisher backstage - no response. I asked where all my lumber went - no response. My kids couldn't see my whiteboard for 3 months due to lighting that had burned out. When did they replace the lights? While I was teaching and only just before their precious event.

Two days ago, I ran into a former student who also happened to be a star football player there and is now playing on the college level. He told me that when he decided to take my class, his coach (also an administrator) said, "What, are you gay or something?" Absolutely deplorable behavior.

No administrator attended even one of our events in 6 years! I don't think they even know the program they cut! It's all a shame and feels very wrong. And now, I'm as angry as I've been in my life. I've had a steady stream of kids who are shaken up by it as they don't know what they're going to do after school next year and who had planned on taking class with me. These kids are often taunted by monitors because they're not 'mainstream.' Many of them have piercings, tatoos, and are judged for it on a consistent basis. They're good kids, though, and don't deserve it.

I have a ream of emails printed out proving the effort I put in trying to solve the auditorium and other situations.

I was Fine Arts Dept. Chair for two years, holding the hands of some teachers who are staying, while I'm the one to leave. I just don't get it. And I don't believe they get what they've done (or they do, which is far worse).

Well...there's more, but let's leave it at that. I feel that the truth needs to get out and that I should be compensated for the abuse I and my program has taken over the years, aside from the working conditions I was forced to be in, and an obvious descriminatory attitude toward my subject matter and the students who have thrived in the program.

Any thoughts?

S.

My jurisdiction is: Arizona

Hello.

My complaint could fall into several categories, but I'll give you the skinny as succinctly as possible. It's tough, though, because there's so much to say.

I'm a drama teacher and was recently informed of the decision to cut the program. I was given a 90-second standing meeting, during which the principal showed me a scratch pad with my name on it. He had no real explanation other than to say the 'numbers' weren't good on registration. And that certification was an issue. I just completed my coursework for certification and they all knew I was on track to do so.

Numbers don't really make any sense as I served more students than two other teachers in my department (one of which is not 'highly qualified' under NCLB and has never been asked to even take coursework). On top of higher student counts in classes, I also have a club that serves 40 students who produce original works for stage and film. It's an empowering club for many troubled students who have no other venue in which to explore their creative potential. The other two teachers produce less and their 'clubs' are actually done in class, where students earn credit. Mine is completely voluntary - the kids do it because they want to and get so much from the program.

I teach in the auditorium, which is also used for other events and meetings. All I have ever asked is that if an event is going to be in there, that I get advanced notice so that I can plan my curriculum around another space. For six straight years, my classes have been interrupted, moved, invaded...and I was unable to get admin to follow a simple process for booking the space. I even took over doing all the bookings myself in order to avoid being relocated at the last minute. That failed, because while teachers had no problem completing a reservation form and getting it approved, admin continued to surprise me with last-minute events. My kids were even getting ticked off by it.

I have made numerous requests to solve this problem, but to no avail. If admin so blatantly demonstrates that they have no respect for the class, what are the kids supposed to think?

Over time, I made numerous requests for repairs, which were largely ignored until the week before an event that was near and dear to administrators. So, months after my requests were ignored, suddenly repairs were being done right in the middle of my class (swarms of maintenance guys would storm the place, going up and down on a scissors lift next to me while lecturing, working on stage when my kids were supposed to be, the list goes on).

My office was a steady 90 degrees until just weeks ago (right before the event when they needed it cool in the other dressing room). This has gone on year after year, without fail. I've had personal items stolen and got no response. I learned that the AC filters hadn't been changed for years. I requested a fire extinguisher backstage - no response. I asked where all my lumber went - no response. My kids couldn't see my whiteboard for 3 months due to lighting that had burned out. When did they replace the lights? While I was teaching and only just before their precious event.

Two days ago, I ran into a former student who also happened to be a star football player there and is now playing on the college level. He told me that when he decided to take my class, his coach (also an administrator) said, "What, are you gay or something?" Absolutely deplorable behavior.

No administrator attended even one of our events in 6 years! I don't think they even know the program they cut! It's all a shame and feels very wrong. And now, I'm as angry as I've been in my life. I've had a steady stream of kids who are shaken up by it as they don't know what they're going to do after school next year and who had planned on taking class with me. These kids are often taunted by monitors because they're not 'mainstream.' Many of them have piercings, tatoos, and are judged for it on a consistent basis. They're good kids, though, and don't deserve it.

I have a ream of emails printed out proving the effort I put in trying to solve the auditorium and other situations.

I was Fine Arts Dept. Chair for two years, holding the hands of some teachers who are staying, while I'm the one to leave. I just don't get it. And I don't believe they get what they've done (or they do, which is far worse).

Well...there's more, but let's leave it at that. I feel that the truth needs to get out and that I should be compensated for the abuse I and my program has taken over the years, aside from the working conditions I was forced to be in, and an obvious descriminatory attitude toward my subject matter and the students who have thrived in the program.

Any thoughts?

S.

Is this a public school? Do you have a contract? Union?

It is a public school and I was on an emergency certification contract until I had the coursework complete for certification, which I completed this month. I was on track to complete it at this time. Administration knew that, so that shouldn't have been a determining factor. Their policy is that as of this August, no teachers on emergency certs should be in the classroom. Having said that, I know of at least one teacher who is not certified and who has not been asked to take coursework towards becoming "highly qualified" according to the No Child Left Behind Act. I was told that he was on a 'different' type of contract. A 'professional non-teaching contract.' He's still teaching credit courses, however, so I'm not entirely sure what that means. I think they just decided they liked Mariachi more than Drama. Interestingly, though, one of the things they were looking at was class sizes, but that doesn't explain it either as I had more students in class this year than he did.

I am a member of SEA, and they do provide two free 30-minute consultations with a lawyer. I have hesitated, though, until I knew more. One of the SEA reps, as it turns out, knew that they had cut my program before I did. I guess I don't really have a lot of faith in anyone down there.

Truthfully, I don't know if there's anything you can do, but it wouldn't hurt to meet with the lawyer.

If you're tenured, then you can bump someone with less seniority if you can teach another subject. However, if you don't have the certification to teach any other subject, then I think you're stuck.

Unfortunately, the district has every right to eliminate a program at their discretion. The union can't argue with those kinds of decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back