Taxicab driver involved in accident(Independent Contractor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzzy

Involved in minor fender bender while on duty driving taxicab. Myself and driver of other vehicle change lanes at same time and side swipe each other. Stop and exchange info.
Reported accident to Taxicab Company completed a report for their records and life goes on. By the way no injuries, other driver and I both agreed at time that we were both at fault. Now some 4-5 years later I no longer work for taxicab company, and receive a Judgement in mail from attorney stating that I must pay $6,024.22 immediately. Then receive letter from DMV two days later that they have suspended my license until judgement is paid.????? Now by law to my knowledge the taxicab company is required to maintain insurance on all vehicles. That's one of the reasons I had to pay them a daily lease fee of over $100.00. For them to maintain the insurance, vehicle maintence and have a dispatcher. I currently have worked for a delivery company for over 2 years, loading their trucks part-time, and have finally become eligible for a promotion to driver with full time pay and all the benefits. However, I no longer have a valid license thanks to this disaster situation.
Please advise what to I do?????
Partime employment and full time college student so can not even think of hiring an attorney.

Thank you so much.

If you don't hire an attorney, OP, you'll never get your license reinstated.
Be further advised, that even if you had an attorney, the resolution won't happen in two or three days.
So, visit a couple of local attorneys.
The INITIAL consultation is normally given FREE of charge.
At least you can spend 15-20 minutes asking good questions.
You can educate yourself.
Then you can determine your next steps.

You'll also want to investigate that judgment.
In your state (CA), one has 3 or 4 years in which to bring such an action.
Don't assume the attorney is a real attorney, and that the judgment is real.
Investigate and verify EVERYTHING.
In your state, most stuff can be seen online, so get to Googling.

You will also want to get another 2 or 3 free consults about how to vacate that judgment, assuming it is real!!!!

That's a bummer. Agree with Army Judge that your best bet is to verify everything & talk to some attorneys. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back