Tax lien

Dave Cape

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hello,
I hope there are some smart tax lien people on this site. I have a three-part question:

If a general tax lien (fifa) is placed on a boat (considered real property in my County) that I no longer own, can they go after my house? The tax amount in question is $900.

Can someone purchase the tax lien on a boat I no longer own? If so, what can they do with it?

If a County files a general tax lien on the boat that was in their county at one time, can they go after my other property in another county?

Thank you for any help.

The county has recorded the fifa for supposed unpaid taxes.

Did you effect legal transfer of the boat's ownership?

If you did, the new owner can easily have the lien removed.

However, if the transfer of ownership was an effort to surreptitiously secrete your assets, prepare for an attack by the tax thieves of great ferocity upon your ASSets.

Even if a lien were placed upon your home, your home isn't likely to be sold at a sheriff's sale.

If you have a mortgage on your home, the lien will simply remain dormant until the home is sold (or ownership transferred).

Yes, the boat sale was 8 months ago and the tax notices started 3 months ago.
Thank you for your input.

Did you effect legal transfer of the boat's ownership?

If you did, the new owner can easily have the lien removed.

However, if the transfer of ownership was an effort to surreptitiously secrete your assets, prepare for an attack by the tax thieves of great ferocity upon your ASSets.

Even if a lien were placed upon your home, your home isn't likely to be sold at a sheriff's sale.

If you have a mortgage on your home, the lien will simply remain dormant until the home is sold (or ownership transferred).

Yes, the boat sale was 8 months ago and the tax notices started 3 months ago.
Thank you for your input.

If things are as you recite, I suggest you stay as far away from the boat and its owner as possible.

If a lien is lodged against property in error, it'll be quickly corrected.

None of that is of any value to you and the money you are alleged to owe.

The boat won't be confiscated from its rightful owner to satisfy a tax debt he or she doesn't owe.

Caveat: That is is the owner is of sound mind and protects his belongings from unlawful seizure for debts he or she doesn't owe.

Now, if the boat owner is (or was) related to you by DNA or marriage, my answer might change.

Property taxes (they consider a boat real property). The lien implies that they can go after any of my property to satisfy the "past due" boat taxes. I don't know if legally they can do that, but I think they can do whatever the hell they Damn well please unless a knowledgeable citizen calls bullshit on them. But risk your home or car over some boat taxes? Probably not the smart move.

Here's a list of things that "FIFA" might stand for. Care to tell us which of these things (or something else) you're talking about? What sorts of taxes?

Back