Taking someone to small claims court....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPinks

My step-daughter took out a loan for her then boyfriend. When the time came for the payments to be made, he skipped on them. My husband paid the loan off for her so that it didn't affect her credit. Now we are wondering if there is any way that we can go after him for the money. He did sign on the loan papers, but not as the main person, and he did put up collateral. Is there any way that we can take this to small claims?

Your stepdaughter is really the only one who can go after him.

What's the loan amount?

The loan is $1,200.00. And I don't care who goes after him, he is a deadbeat who isn't paying his child support to her either....but that isn't the issue here.

What did he put up as collateral? Thanks.

Okay, that's within the limits of small claims in Illinois. Getting the judgment is the easy part though - collecting on it is a different matter entirely.

Agree, she can try to get a judgment against him for the amt. through small claims court. I was just wondering what was the collateral he put up & who is holding the collateral - your step daughter or him. As Proserpina noted, getting the judgment is the easier part - it isn't always so easy to collect.

You won't get a dime of any judgment.

Well, she won't. She's not getting child support.
Why would she loan a deadbeat dad a dollar?

You need to have a chat with her.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Prosperina and Betty - Unfortunately, he has the collateral.

Army judge - Hi there! Long time no talk. The child support is court ordered, the state is slow in processing it. And he is not volunteering anything.

It was a shot in the dark, we are really fed up with the "sperm donor" and his unwillingness to do what he needs to do. He is the epitome of a deadbeat.

She can take him to court & try to get a judgment against him for the amount of the loan but it is true that it is doubtful he will pay though judgments are good for quite some time. Her decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back