Taken back to court on contempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNichol

Hello,
I was divorced July 7 of last year, final settlement upon assets was filed in Oct of last year. I was able to keep the marital home and ordered to buy out my ex-husbands share in the equity of the home. I have gone to multiple lenders to get a loan against the home (which is paid for, no mortgage) but keep getting turned down. I'm not asking for even half the apraised value but can not get financed. My ex-husband has filed a contempt of court against me, because I have not been able to pay him.

This has stressed me out extremely! What do I expect when I go to court? It's not like I am not paying him because I don't want to, I cannot get funding. What happens if I can't get funded? Really stressed!! Could use some great advice!!

I suggest you hire an attorney.
You can't do this alone.

You could eventually have a lien attached to your home by your "ex".

The court might order your home sold to pay your debt.
If there is still a shortage, you'll still owe the difference.

You can try to make a deal with your "ex"!
If you owe him $50,000, you might be able to give him the home, or give him the home and he gives you $5,000. Thus is only a hypothetical. You know your situation. I don't need the specifics. You can work out your own compromise.

You might be able to get additional time.

Who knows?

Only your judge.

Get yourself a lawyer.

Last edited:
I suggest you hire an attorney.
You can't do this alone.

You could eventually have a lien attached to your home by your "ex".

The court might order your home sold to pay your debt.
If there is still a shortage, you'll still owe the difference.

You can try to make a deal with your "ex"!
If you owe him $50,000, you might be able to give him the home, or give him the home and he gives you $5,000. Thus is only a hypothetical. You know your situation. I don't need the specifics. You can work out your own compromise.

You might be able to get additional time.

Who knows?

Only your judge.

Get yourself a lawyer.

I appreciate your advice! Sad thing is I have a lawyer and I still have to resort to this for legal advice, I just can't seem to get any answers out of her.
What does that mean if a lein is put on the house? What happens then? I have 2 young children and don't want to lose their home. I don't even owe my ex half the value of the home so giving it to him is not an option I would like to proceed with. He is a difficult person to say the least and our marriage was very long and hard, any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back