T Intersection Stop Sign; Who's at Fault

TBoneAccident

So basically the street is a "T" intersection, where the private road "|" that joins the main road has a stop sign and the main road has no signs or anything. I was traveling on the main road and saw her making a left turn. Anyways, at this point it was too late to stop (she would've hit my front side) so I kept going to hopefully avoid the collision by driving past her. She ended up hitting the rear side of my vehicle.

I followed up by getting her license plate # and phone #, but did not contact the police nor take pictures of the accident scene. In this situation, I assume she's 100% at fault, no? And if so what actions should I take next. If possible, I'd just want to deal with the repairs without insurance to avoid any accidents on my record.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically the street is a "T" intersection, where the private road "|" that joins the main road has a stop sign and the main road has no signs or anything. I was traveling on the main road and saw her making a left turn. Anyways, at this point it was too late to stop (she would've hit my front side) so I kept going to hopefully avoid the collision by driving past her. She ended up hitting the rear side of my vehicle.

I followed up by getting her license plate # and phone #, but did not contact the police nor take pictures of the accident scene. In this situation, I assume she's 100% at fault, no? And if so what actions should I take next. If possible, I'd just want to deal with the repairs without insurance to avoid any accidents on my record.

imgur/ppGroqn.png

Her story will differ vastly from yours. That's going to be problem one.
You failed to report the incident contemporaneously with the event, and that is problem two.

I suggest you seek the advice of a CA licensed traffic law attorney.

If things are as you describe, the police may already be in possession of contradictory information.

This could be an accident that has become a "hit & run".

Generally speaking the person making the left turn from the stop sign onto the main road with no stop sign, would be at fault. However, there could be circumstances that would affect that(your rate of speed for example.) With no police report, it's your word against hers as to what happened. You can ask her to pay for your damages and hope for the best.

Call your insurance company or pay for it yourself. Chances are someone will advise her that you can't prove anything and can't make her pay, or she may just not have the money.

Well hopefully she will pony up. At this point if I were you I would send her the quote and wait and see.

Well hopefully she will pony up. At this point if I were you I would send her the quote and wait and see.

Basically I already f'd up by not taking pictures (only have pic of her license) and not calling police so there's not much more I can do to alleviate the situation now but count on her to be honest?

Don't forget to report this to the DMV if the damages exceed $750 (DMV SR-1). You have 10 days to make this report. Failure to make this report could result in a license suspension.

In theory it seems as if the other party would be at fault for the unsafe entry into traffic. But, if she doesn't pay, you may have to make that claim to your insurance company. And depending upon the time delay and the facts, your insurance company may not assist you if you delay in making the claim. Unless you have some really cheesy insurance, I doubt that a non-fault collision will count against you.

I certainly hope for OP's sake, the other party womans up.
However, its a rare thing for the offending party to man or woman up.
Let's hope I'm wrong, and that all humans (at least this female human) aren't scammers, grifters, crooks, shysters, or liars.

You should have gotten the other driver's insurance info. You could be making the claim direct to her insurance company. f you don't have it, ask for it.

Back