Support of child that's not mine! Indiana, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmward

I'm divorced over 10 years now, my x was pregnant when we got married I took on the responsibility of another mans child, then we had another child together shortly after ending in divorce.

She remarried twice since and now has another child from the 2nd husband. Meaning 3 children 3 fathers and I'm the only one who pays?????

I have been paying child support since divorced. Around 3/4 years ago she told the child who is now 14, he was not my son and allowed him to change his last name to her prior maiden name, but not changing it with the courts of course but with medical records and school records.

So when he comes to visit his attitude is he doesn't have to listen to me because I'm not his dad...and he has chosen to stop communications with me in which she has allowed.

Yet she is now taking me back to court for more money and saying I owe back child support which is hilarious since she has been on auto pay through my bank for years.

Do I have any rights as to stop paying for this child and in return sue her for back child support. I have no idea if she has or does receive any money from the childs biological father. However I do know on her third child she is constantly taking his father to court for more money.

Why are you paying child support for another man's child? Did you legally adopt him? If not, then you need to see an attorney ASAP.

Since you were married when the child was born, you are legally the child's father. After 14 years, it is unlikely that the court would allow you to contest paternity, but if you want to do that you'll need to consult an attorney.

You do have the right, however, to take your ex to court for parental alienation. Telling the child that you are not his parent and allowing him to change his name on legal records is a no-no. Again, consult an attorney.

I was paying child support on him when we divorced for even though I was/am not his biological father my name is on his birthcertificate. And we always had the understanding that I would always be his father and so forth.

However now it is just being thrown back in my face that I'm not his father and everyone knows it ... but they all still want more money from me.

His name is changed on everything except for of course with the child support division and the courts. I have written letters to the child support division, because when calling they will not speak to me and said I have to write to them and they will get back to me and then they don't.

I was only trying to do the right thing and raise this child with some stability, but I see now that I am just a check book to them.

I think this is going to be a huge battle for me because my ex's mother is an retired judge in the location where our hearing is going to be and she has much influence on others there in that community.

Now the one child that is actually mine out of the 3 has refused communications with me as well for I told her if she did not bring up her grades she would not be going away with me for the summer, because she would be sitting in summer school. Needless to say grades in that household do not matter..her mother did not put her in summer school and I asked the school to hold her back and was told grades don't really matter until high school so here I am with a 8th grader who last year failed everything with d's and f's with the exception of Art, Music and PE in which she got A's! Now there is no communication will not return calls nor e-mails and her mother somehow approves of this!

What are fathers to do when all you try to do is the right thing and be a better person for the children who do not even appreciate and/or respect you?

Sorry but you are the legal father, you likely cannot back peddle out of it now. if you want custody or visitation then go to court for it but you are this childs father, learn to deal with the mother. See an attorney.

I just found the docket from the courts online where they had his name legally changed to her maiden name and the birth certificate amended.

Go figure she forgot to submit the information to the child support division!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and respond!

I suspect since you are child"s "legal" Father you can challange that ruling! Especially if you were not contacted of the hearing to change it. I agree with others you need an Attorney for custody, visitation and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back