Supplementary Proceedings-Order to appear in court and bring documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKinOH

I just received a "Supplementary Proceedings " letter today (8/23/2013) stating to Report To the Clerk Or Courts to answer/testify to a judgment that was placed against me on 12/26/2007 in the state of Ohio. I remember fighting the amount owed which was to a local hospital back in 2007 but I don't have any supporting documentation...or none that I can find from back then. The letter states that I must bring Records, Bank Statements, Motor Vehicle Titles, Tax Returns, etc., etc., etc.,

What are my options at this point? Is there anything I can file or send in to the courts? Should I contact the lawyer for the Plaintiff and try and settle?

Another thing that is interesting is that the letter states I owe ~$2,500 plus court costs. But when reviewing my credit reports the judgment placed against me back in 2007 was for ~$1,600. That's a pretty big difference.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The increase in amount is probably due to interest. They can collect interest on a judgment.

They are apparently wanting to enforce/collect on the judgment & want to look at your financial information.

You could try contacting the plaintiff's lawyer & try to settle or talk to a lawyer of your own before you do anything.

Betty3, thanks for the reply and info. I was actually thinking my best coarse of action is to send a letter to the lawyer and try to settle. Seeing as this debt/judgement is 6 years old and I can't find any of the original documentation not sure what good it would do going to court. That said, my current income to debt ratio is pretty bad. I was unemployed twice over the last several years and have 2 mortgages against my house, 2 credit cards that were closed that I have paying on, I owe more on my car then it worth, a son in college and basically a lot of debt. Not that I am looking for sympathy but the point is there is not much more too go around.

Thanks again

You might want to speak with a bankruptcy attorney. From what you've said, you're the reason we have bankruptcy laws. A BK filing would forestall any other collection or court activity, and provide you with a fresh start. It's worth educating yourself about, and most attorney's offer free consultations.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Based on your last post, agree that it wouldn't hurt to talk to a bankruptcy attorney. It seems you have a lot of debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back