Negligence, Other Injury Supermarket fall

tammytoma

Jurisdiction
New York
I very recently went with my neighbor to a pretty large supermarket. I am guessing somebody dropped a juice container on the floor in a nearby area which spilled all over the place. My neighbor didn't realize that the spill had reached near where we were standing. When we walked around the corner of the aisle, my neighbor didn't see the edges of the spill and slipped and fell. She ended up going to the hospital and x-rays showed that she had a broken bone from the fall in her hand. I didn't see the spill at the time and only saw her slip and fall. My neighbor lives alone and is nervous and isn't sure what to do and I have been helping her. She will medical bills for the accident. She doesn't want to get involved in suing anybody and thinks she should talk to the store.

did the store management write up an accident report the day it happened? She needs to be talking with them about what their insurance will cover.

She doesn't want to get involved in suing anybody and thinks she should talk to the store.

She seems quite informed, bully for her, mate.

You didn't ask a question, so I assume you're just looking for general discussion.

My neighbor lives alone and is nervous and isn't sure what to do

Isn't sure what to do about what?

She will medical bills for the accident.

I assume the word "receive" or "have" was supposed to go between "will" and "medical" in this sentence. Does your neighbor have medical insurance?

She doesn't want to get involved in suing anybody and thinks she should talk to the store.

She certainly should contact the store manager (talking "to the store" would be a sign of mental illness). The store will have insurance that will provide a small amount of coverage for her injuries regardless of legal liability.

Beyond that, whether the store has any liability for your friend's injuries depends in large part on how long the spill was there before your neighbor fell and how the spill was caused. If it was not caused by a store employee or had only been there for a short time, the store wouldn't likely have any liability.

Back