Roomate Subtenant rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesenia

Hi,

I am moving in with a renter for financial reasons and paying her rent but I am not on a written lease. It is just a verbal agreement.

I am aware that if the landlord/management allows a tenant to rent to a third-party then it is okay and the tenant (her in this case) is still however responsible for the property/rental agreement.

My questions are do I have any rights if she for whatever reason she decides to evict me? I will be giving her a security deposit and make sure I keep records of all payments I give her but is that enough proof to have if she decides not to give me the deposit back.

Thanks, and I appreciate if you are able to answer my question. I don't want to be taken advantage of!

You might want to get something in writing.

Hi,

I am moving in with a renter for financial reasons and paying her rent but I am not on a written lease. It is just a verbal agreement.

I am aware that if the landlord/management allows a tenant to rent to a third-party then it is okay and the tenant (her in this case) is still however responsible for the property/rental agreement.

My questions are do I have any rights if she for whatever reason she decides to evict me? I will be giving her a security deposit and make sure I keep records of all payments I give her but is that enough proof to have if she decides not to give me the deposit back.

Thanks, and I appreciate if you are able to answer my question. I don't want to be taken advantage of!

Your best protection is just don't do it.

She could stiff you in more ways than the government does honest tax payers.

The landlord could end up evicting both of you.

Getting any of your deposit back would be like stealing gold from Ft. Knox.

We get dozens of posts each month after people do what you're contemplating.

Stay in a hotel, but don't do this.

That's the only way to prevent BIG problems in as few as 24 hours after you move in her apartment.

One more thing, if you do this, you're not a sub-tenant.

You might be considered a trespasser by her landlord, but if you aren't you'd be her tenant, boarder, or roomer.

In essence, its far worse than ii is in the eyes of many 16 year olds, or today many 35 year old who've returned to live with mom an dad.

Most of those situations work out better than this deal you're contemplating.

Last edited:
You said you were moving in for financial reasons - I assume you mean your financial reasons & not the renter. However, army judge is correct - it's generally not a good idea even with a written "agreement" - too much can go wrong & you only have a verbal agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back