Subleasing Without A Contract

Carolina9

I recently moved out of my apartment but still had about 6 months left on my lease. I found a woman who wanted to move in and take over payments. The apartment is shared with 3 other roommates who are all on their own leases separate from mine. Since I had already been living somewhere else for a few weeks, my room was empty. So me and this woman made plans to sign over the lease to her and we'd be done. A bad snowstorm caused the offices to be closed and we couldn't get it done before the rent was due. So i told her she could start moving her things until my empty room if she paid me for the first month of rent,which she did.(i gave her my spare key to do this) I went back to my apartment a few days later to find that she had completely moved in and had 2 unauthorized dogs as well. I told her to get rid of the dogs but a complaint had already been filed. Since we didn't sign any contact, she is claiming that she didn't know she couldn't have dogs there (which she actually didn't know). Now my landlord is threatening to evict me/charge damages for the dogs. I have text messages from her specifying that she would be moving "some small things" into the room. In my opinion,this wouldn't include dogs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

You have made BIG trouble for yourself.
You can be sued by your landlord.
The only way to get the woman out, if she voluntarily refuses to leave is EVICT her.
You may not have the authority to bring an eviction action against her.
I suggest you discuss this with yoru landlord and be prepared to dig deep to make this go away.
Any rights you may have once had you gave away.
Your legal position has be en compromised by TRYING to sublet.
Just so you know, most leases don't permit a renter to sublet without the express and written permission of the landlord.
Most landlords won't give such permission.

In the future don't even think about subletting.
MOST people who sublet have sub-par credit and have often been evicted in the past.
You take a great risk in getting involved with subletting.
You'd have been better off by moving out and keeping your rent current.

Back