Student Loans cosigner

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertg1

I have been divorced for 6 months now, and my ex has 56k in student loans that I am still the co-signer on. She initially told me that she had consolidated all of her loans and had me removed. I found out that I am still on this last loan. She has made all of the required payments on time and she is now refusing to remove me as the cosigner. I contacted the loan company and they state that they can and will do nothing unless she signs the release documents. Her initial plan was to use the money from the sale of the house to pay off the debt, but she is not getting enough. I am wondering what my legal options are to have myself removed from the loans. These loans are not addressed in the final divorce judgement. This is in California. Any advice will help. Thanks

You unfortunately will have to continue to ask her to cooperate with you and sign the release forms. Since the divorce decree has been finalized there isn't much you can do.

Someone mentioned to me the possibility of using a post decree discovery to get a judgment to have me taken off of the loans. Is this a possibility?

Give it a try. It is worth the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back