Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Stop Payment on a Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena83

I have received a letter from a Prosecuting attorney in Missouri to pay a Dental Office that I placed a stop payment on a check.

I Contacted the dental Office prior to their service to check to see if they accepted my insurance the clerk advised me that they did, so I made an appointment for myself and my family.
The day of the appointment after service she told me that the type of Federal Insurance that we had they would send me the funds and than I would pay them, but they required a check to hold until the funds were given to me by my Insurance.
I received a call from the Clerk and she said my Insurance said we didn't have any. I contacted my insurance they advised me that I had insurance but the dentist office were not participating providers. The agent called the Clerk and explained and told her what she needed to do.
The clerk called me and said the bill needed to be paid, I asked her if her was a participant and she said no, I advised her that was the way she would get paid. I also told her not to cash the check because I placed a stop payment on it because she lied to me about being a participant. She said she would talk to the dentist about becoming a participant and that she did not mean to deceive me and that she would call me back. I never received a call back just this letter in the mail.
She cashed the check a week or two later. Our appointment was in March 2014 and she cashed the check June 2014. But our first agreement was it would be cashed when I received the funds from my Insurance.
Now they are saying they are going to file for a warrant for my arrest.
What can I do?

You have a very big problem.
You need a real lawyer.
I suggest you retain one.
You'll likely be arrested soon, too.
You might want to discuss bail costs with a local bail bonding company.
What you did can be considered a crime.
You might even be looking at a felony charge, depending on the amount of the check.
Giving ANYONE a post-dated check with instructions to hold the check for XXX days means nothing.
The person holding such a check can attempt to negotiate the check 15 minutes after you leave.
With automated check processing these days, the item will move along swiftly to be paid (if you have funds), or to BOUNCE like a rubber ball.
See a lawyer tomorrow, and get ready for what these people are cooking up, or pay them the amount they demand.
You don't want to deal with the criminal justice system, trust me.
But, see a good local lawyer before doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back