1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Stolen rent leading to invalid debt

Discussion in 'Commercial Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by Reckoner, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reckoner

Reckoner Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    In June of 2014 we received a letter from the management at our apartment complex at the time saying we were a month late on our rent. Confused by this, as we had paid rent in May for the full amount and on time. When we went to the office to find out what was going on we learned that there was new management and that the old managers had stolen several money orders including ours. In order to resolve this issue we had to get a copy of the money order. A couple months later (we were living in a new place by then) we finally got a photocopy of the money order proving they had written in a different apartment number and forged my wife's signature. By this time, they had sent this invalid debt into collections. Obviously this was worrisome to us as it would negatively impact our credit and rental history. We were assured that they would straighten this out and hopefully get our security deposit back (around $300). However, we are still receiving collection letters so obviously they did nothing about this. Now, over a year later, the apartment complex is under new management and has a different name. I can't believe how disgusting these people are, both the first and second management. I would like to seek the max in small claims court but I've never sued anyone before so I was hoping to get some guidance on this issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. ElleMD

ElleMD Well-Known Member

Are you suing to get the deposit back?

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Your IP address indicates you are in Redmond, WA.
    I suggest you NOT spam our site.
    Otherwise, Google or Bing: "small claims YOUR COUNTY, TX"

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

closed thread. information shared.