Stolen rent leading to invalid debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

Jurisdiction
Texas
In June of 2014 we received a letter from the management at our apartment complex at the time saying we were a month late on our rent. Confused by this, as we had paid rent in May for the full amount and on time. When we went to the office to find out what was going on we learned that there was new management and that the old managers had stolen several money orders including ours. In order to resolve this issue we had to get a copy of the money order. A couple months later (we were living in a new place by then) we finally got a photocopy of the money order proving they had written in a different apartment number and forged my wife's signature. By this time, they had sent this invalid debt into collections. Obviously this was worrisome to us as it would negatively impact our credit and rental history. We were assured that they would straighten this out and hopefully get our security deposit back (around $300). However, we are still receiving collection letters so obviously they did nothing about this. Now, over a year later, the apartment complex is under new management and has a different name. I can't believe how disgusting these people are, both the first and second management. I would like to seek the max in small claims court but I've never sued anyone before so I was hoping to get some guidance on this issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In June of 2014 we received a letter from the management at our apartment complex at the time saying we were a month late on our rent. Confused by this, as we had paid rent in May for the full amount and on time. When we went to the office to find out what was going on we learned that there was new management and that the old managers had stolen several money orders including ours. In order to resolve this issue we had to get a copy of the money order. A couple months later (we were living in a new place by then) we finally got a photocopy of the money order proving they had written in a different apartment number and forged my wife's signature. By this time, they had sent this invalid debt into collections. Obviously this was worrisome to us as it would negatively impact our credit and rental history. We were assured that they would straighten this out and hopefully get our security deposit back (around $300). However, we are still receiving collection letters so obviously they did nothing about this. Now, over a year later, the apartment complex is under new management and has a different name. I can't believe how disgusting these people are, both the first and second management. I would like to seek the max in small claims court but I've never sued anyone before so I was hoping to get some guidance on this issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Your IP address indicates you are in Redmond, WA.
I suggest you NOT spam our site.
Otherwise, Google or Bing: "small claims YOUR COUNTY, TX"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back