stolen life insurance money

Status
Not open for further replies.

chels89

State: Maine.

When I was 14 my father passed away & left a $25,000 life insurance policy naming me as the only beneficiary. Since I was a minor, my mother applied for Conservatorship & asked the money be put in a bank account until my 18th birthday. Since then, she & I no longer speak. I turn 18 in 12 days & whenever I ask her about it, she refuses to tell me anything. I got all the paperwork from the Probate Court & it states that she has to inform me of any changes annually which she hasn't done. The paperwork also gave a bank account number & says this:

"The proceeds from the insurance policy with [insurance company & policy number] shall be deposited with the [bank] in an account or accounts with interest payable to [my mother], Conservator for [me] until attain the age of eighteen years.
The account or accounts for [me] shall not permit any withdrawls until attain the age of eighteen, at which time all sums on deposit shall be released to [me], or upon further order of this court."

There were no changes told to the court about the account, but when I went to that bank the account had been closed & no deposit of any large sum of money had ever been made. The bank manager told me to fax the insurance company a request for the check that was issued to my mother & they are in the process of sending me that check.

What are the chances that my mother could've spent the money & how did she manage to get the check without alerting the courts? Please help me, I need the money for college & I have no idea where to go from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back