Step parent

wreakergirl91

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I was 16 when i had my daughter and he father and i were not together at the time but he is on the birth certificate. He now is a registered child sex offender and has court ordered visition but he never is there. In may of 2016 i got married and my husband wants to adopt my daughter who is 9. And my mom has guardianship of her. Can my husband adopt her without his permission if my mom says yes.

I was 16 when i had my daughter and he father and i were not together at the time but he is on the birth certificate. He now is a registered child sex offender and has court ordered visition but he never is there. In may of 2016 i got married and my husband wants to adopt my daughter who is 9. And my mom has guardianship of her. Can my husband adopt her without his permission if my mom says yes.

No.

Wait what? How does your mom have guardianship and you don't? What happened there?

You have to get permission from the other parent or at least notify him. The only way you don't have to is if he's proven to be unfit or had already signed over his rights. Do you still have parental rights to your daughter? I would make sure because there's a chance you could lose your rights too.

750 ILCS 50/  Adoption Act.

Adopting a child

Try reading through those links. You need to get a lawyer. This is not DIY.

Back