Step parent adoption

Victoria2019

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Adoption of 5 year old. No father on birth certificate was not married when child was conceived. My husband of 3 years would like to adopt her and biological father I have not seen or heard from since the day I found out I was pregnant. I've talked to two different lawsuits and I was told I have to find the bio dad? Please help.

I don't believe that you were told you have to find him. I believe that you were told that you have to attempt to find him. That's an important distinction.

Well Zigner thank you for the insight on the situation. Would you happen to be one of the lawyers that I have spoken with? I was told by one lawyer that I needed to find him for future precautions. But again thank you for your comment.

was not married when child was conceived.

What about when the child was born? And was the child born in Kansas?

I've talked to two different [lawyers] and I was told I have to find the bio dad?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask.

Please help.

It's not clear what sort of "help" you are seeking or think anonymous strangers on the internet can provide -- especially when two lawyers have told you what you need to do.

While I don't know anything specific about Kansas law, it is generally the case that a stepparent adoption will require that the mother and stepfather at least make efforts to find the child's father. Needless to say, we have no information that might help you locate the man.

Whether you only have to make a reasonable attempt to find the father or whether the adoption cannot occur unless you actually find him and serve him with the adoption papers, the first steps are to contact common acquaintances or call the last number you had for him, and other things of that sort. If this was just some random dude you met in a bar, then you're unlikely to be able to find him.

I was told by one lawyer that I needed to find him for future precautions.

I have no idea what "find him for future precautions" might mean.

Back