step-parent adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlemom2004

My husband is wanting to adopt our oldest child. Her biological father pays child support, however owes back child support. We were wondering if we could get him to pay one lump sum and let him go so that my husband could adopt her? Is this a possibility?

The child's Father is going to have to willingly give up his rights to child. This will not erase arrears. However if the arrears are owed to you rather than state you could forgive them

I wouldn't do this without an attorney. I don't believe it would be a problem for her father to give her up, I just wanted to make sure that asking for a lump sum of money would be appropriate... Thank you for your help

If he has not seen the child for a number of years, the child, in some states, can ask to be adopted at age 14. I have been told this, but i am not an attorney

Hi I'm new to this and was wondering If anyone out there could answer my question. I just got married on May 19th, 2008 to a man with 3 children that I have grown to love with all my heart. There mother up and left them and my husband to live her own life. She has no Custody of them at all. Because there so young and would probably not remember her from this point. I want to adopt them. I was wondering if and what I have to do to do that. Now that I'm married to there father does that mean that I have a legal say in what happens to them or do I have to actually adopt them.I just want to protect myself in case there is ever a legal seperation or a divorce. I want to know that I wont lose them out of my life if something were to happen. If anyone can give me some insight on this I'd approciate it alot.
Thanks Heather

Hi I'm new to this and was wondering If anyone out there could answer my question. I just got married on May 19th, 2008 to a man with 3 children that I have grown to love with all my heart. There mother up and left them and my husband to live her own life. She has no Custody of them at all. Because there so young and would probably not remember her from this point. I want to adopt them. I was wondering if and what I have to do to do that.
Most states require that you are married for at least a year before adopting. You will also need the mother's consent, and a lawyer.
Now that I'm married to there father does that mean that I have a legal say in what happens to them or do I have to actually adopt them.
You have absolutely NO LEGAL SAY in what happens to them. You are a legal stranger to them.

If you have any other questions, you should start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.

If he has not seen the child for a number of years, the child, in some states, can ask to be adopted at age 14. I have been told this, but i am not an attorney
Since the father is still paying child support, this is probably not applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back