Statute of limitations on traffic tickets?

mciani

Jurisdiction
California
Hello, does anyone know if there is a statute of limitations in the state of California on how long they can collect on traffic tickets?

I live in Oregon and do not even remember getting a ticket there, but they have one for me from 17 years ago and want me to pay it now. With all of the 'fees' and such. The woman says I owe $589!!

I just can't believe that 1- they can collect for something from so long ago, 2- they can add fees to it like that 3- even if I tried to do something about it, from what I am understanding... she says I have to file to for something because of a 'failure to appear' I am so confused.

I just can't believe that 1- they can collect for something from so long ago, 2- they can add fees to it like that 3- even if I tried to do something about it, from what I am understanding... she says I have to file to for something because of a 'failure to appear' I am so confused.

The fact that you didn't appear to contest the citation, or you appeared once and never again is what has allowed this citation to blossom into a $600 windfall for someone.

If you do nothing, your driving privileges will soon be suspended or revoked, your income refunds will be confiscated to satisfy the amount alleged you owe, and California is looking for money anywhere and everywhere because the state is heading to insolvency.

You can look on the court's website to verify you owe the money.

You should ask the person hounding you to provide WRITTEN proof of what you owe and how you came to owe it.

In the future, don't discuss anything on the phone, agree to anything, except to ask for everything in writing then end the conversation.

It might be legit, or it could be a scam.

Do your due diligence.

The SOL never runs out on a FTA warrant.

I agree you need to check the validity of the claim, especially if you are certain you never received a citation. The DMV and the court in the county where the offense occurred are good places to check.
If you are receiving notice from a collection agency rather than a government entity you might be getting scammed. If not from a government entity you may not be at risk of having your privilege suspended, regardless of the threats being made by the collection agency.

Back