Statute of Limitations on filing QDRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebMc1955

My boyfriend's divorce seems a little off-kilter to me. In the papers is specifically states that the QDRO is to be filed in conjunction of the final decree. It wasn't. It was filed 2 years later -- two separate times. Both times, of which, he was living in California and his attorney did nothing to protect his rights. He was made to pay spousal support, yet his ex-wife was remarried within 6 months of the divorce, and she collected those spousal support payments after she remarried. She was caught on that. They were married 25 years and had one child together, he did not have to pay child support because his daughter was of legal age (18) and out of school when the divorce became final. And keeps asking her daughter to find out when her Dad is going to retire. Apparently she thinks she's going to get a lump sum from a 401K when he retires.

She went after his USPS Retirement, and if I'm not mistaken she will only get what he put in during their marriage.

Just don't think it's right.

My boyfriend's divorce seems a little off-kilter to me. In the papers is specifically states that the QDRO is to be filed in conjunction of the final decree. It wasn't. It was filed 2 years later -- two separate times. Both times, of which, he was living in California and his attorney did nothing to protect his rights. He was made to pay spousal support, yet his ex-wife was remarried within 6 months of the divorce, and she collected those spousal support payments after she remarried. She was caught on that. They were married 25 years and had one child together, he did not have to pay child support because his daughter was of legal age (18) and out of school when the divorce became final. And keeps asking her daughter to find out when her Dad is going to retire. Apparently she thinks she's going to get a lump sum from a 401K when he retires.

She went after his USPS Retirement, and if I'm not mistaken she will only get what he put in during their marriage.

Just don't think it's right.

The two best things you can do to help him, is advise him to retain an attorney and then stay out of it.

As far as his retirement, your answer isn't even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back