Statute of limitations for collection of tuition reimbursement

Status
Not open for further replies.

poto10

I worked for an Illinois corporation from 1996-2002. During 2000-2002, I attend an MBA program and received tuition reimbursment. The company policy included re-paying portions reimbursed dependent upon when you left the company (basically 1/3 per year with no repayment 3 years after completion of a course). My question is: now, in 2008, 5.5 years after I left the company they are seeking repayment. The company policy of course did not specify any time limit for collection. Is it possible, 5.5 year later for them to try and collect? Is there a statute of limitations for this? Is there a "reasonable" standard that is applied.

Did you ever receive an answer or find out more information about this question? I'm wondering the same thing about the statue of limitations on a company's request for tuition reimbursement payback and haven't found a thing...

If a company commences a lawsuit against a former employee seeking tuition assistance reimbursement, it would presumably have to craft its lawsuit as a breach of contract. For the original poster, he should consult with an Illinois lawyer to determine whether the applicable limitations period for contract actions has expired. For the subsequent poster, he should similarly consult with an attorney in his jurisdiction.

FWIW, I have only heard of situations in which a former employer has brought such a reimbursement lawsuit when a separate, underlying dispute exists between the company and the former employee. In contrast, if the original poster left on good terms, I suspect that the former employer has no intention of taking action to obtain reimbursement. Furthermore, I suspect the statute of limitations in Illinois had already expired at the time of OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back