Statue of Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever4given

I need some information about child molestation, how long does a person have before they can prosecute someone for this sex crime? If they were a child when it happened and are now an adult, can they still prosecute? What are the specifications? How many victims need to come forward after these many years?

limitations depend on the state is happened in it should only take one victim to start an investigation and could get a sold conviction on two normally i think most states have limitations at 10-15 years on sex crimes.

I need some information about child molestation, how long does a person have before they can prosecute someone for this sex crime? If they were a child when it happened and are now an adult, can they still prosecute? What are the specifications? How many victims need to come forward after these many years?
In what state did the crime occur?

How old is the crime? (When did it occur?)

What were the ages of the suspect and victim at the time of the alleged crime?

What was the relationship between the suspect and victim? (strangers, siblings, parent-child, etc.)

- Carl

The crime occurred in 1976.
The suspect was 33 yrs. and the victim was 13 yrs. (both male)
The relationship between them was Uncle and nephew.
The crime occurred in Baldwin, Florida.

It will depend on the exact nature of the offense. Apparently Florida's sexual molestation laws have a lot of loopholes with regards to statutes of limitations, and if the SOl had passed before the law was modified from what it was in 1976, then the suspect would be in the clear.

The problem with prosecuting a 32 year old molestation case - assuming the slim possibility that it is possible (and I doubt it IS possible) - is that there will be no proof whatsoever. Absent a confession or a parade of witnesses, this is not going to go anywhere.

The victim should consult the police agency of jurisdiction and see what they have to say.

- Carl

It will depend on the exact nature of the offense. Apparently Florida's sexual molestation laws have a lot of loopholes with regards to statutes of limitations, and if the SOl had passed before the law was modified from what it was in 1976, then the suspect would be in the clear.

The problem with prosecuting a 32 year old molestation case - assuming the slim possibility that it is possible (and I doubt it IS possible) - is that there will be no proof whatsoever. Absent a confession or a parade of witnesses, this is not going to go anywhere.

The victim should consult the police agency of jurisdiction and see what they have to say.

- Carl

Wow, that sure is an eye opener. As for the victim, not very promising. There could be others, but at this late date its more than likely "water under the bridge". What if the suspect is still committing this type of crime on other children? What are some ways that we can legally prove it if there were no confessions?

Wow, that sure is an eye opener. As for the victim, not very promising. There could be others, but at this late date its more than likely "water under the bridge". What if the suspect is still committing this type of crime on other children? What are some ways that we can legally prove it if there were no confessions?
It certainly would be worthwhile contacting the agency of jurisdiction because there might be other victims. The more info they have, the better a current investigation might go.

Proving THAT incident will be tough without a confession. A successful prosecution would have to include a parade of credible victims and witnesses from the time frame ... people that could put the two of them together, could testify to statements made by one or both of the parties concerning the incident, etc. Personally, I cannot imagine that they could easily make such a case without a confession. Of course, it's moot as I strongly suspect the SOL has long since passed.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back