statue of limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embalsa

Hello,about 3 years ago i was in a accident in Virginia.I was working out there for a few months.There were 5 of us and one night 2 of us went out,i dropped off Jake he was going to a dance and i went on a date.After the accident they booked me into jail for DWI,they didn't find any alcohol in the vehicle and apparently i refused to take a blood alcohol test,i don't remember much from the accident because of a concussion.All charges were later dropped.Anyway after the accident my boss who just happened to be my brother in law went and filed charges against me for unauthorized use of a vehicle.He didn't have any coverage on the vehicle except for him,the funny thing is,he was the only one that never drove the truck.The truck was totaled and the rental company was charging him for the price of it,so the only way he could try to get the insurance to pay for it was to file charges.The evening we took the truck he was fully aware of where we were going and what we were doing and then to find out he has lied about the whole thing to cover his rear end is dispicable.I just found out after being pulled over a headlight that i had a warrant for my arrest in Spotsavania Virginia a phelony,the funny thing is he didn't arrest me.I called the courts in Virginia and the woman told me if i got pulled over they would hold me until someone from Virginia could come and get me.I told the woman that i had been pulled over and he just told me to try and clear this up.Needless to say i am very confussed on what to do.I have never been arrested for anything other than misdemeaners and do not want this haunting me,please can you help me??

Sincerly,

Embalsa

I don't know how anyone can help. I'm surprised your brother in law didn't tell you that he would press charges to get the insurance money. That's a choice between the two of you how to handle it. You are the one who would be responsible for the damages and unless you agreed to pay for them then I'm not sure how much love you would expect. You can tell the insurance company the truth and they will likely deny coverage to your brother in law. That still leaves you in the hole for the money although takes you out of the criminal charges, which is probably preferable.

Not sure how anyone here can help. You have to make a decision whether to fight the false charges and it might be a good idea to do so. You will also need to think about a payment plan too.

Is there a question about the statute of limitations?

Originally posted by Embalsa
Hello,about 3 years ago i was in a accident in Virginia.I was working out there for a few months.There were 5 of us and one night 2 of us went out,i dropped off Jake he was going to a dance and i went on a date.After the accident they booked me into jail for DWI,they didn't find any alcohol in the vehicle and apparently i refused to take a blood alcohol test,i don't remember much from the accident because of a concussion.All charges were later dropped.Anyway after the accident my boss who just happened to be my brother in law went and filed charges against me for unauthorized use of a vehicle.He didn't have any coverage on the vehicle except for him,the funny thing is,he was the only one that never drove the truck.The truck was totaled and the rental company was charging him for the price of it,so the only way he could try to get the insurance to pay for it was to file charges.The evening we took the truck he was fully aware of where we were going and what we were doing and then to find out he has lied about the whole thing to cover his rear end is dispicable.I just found out after being pulled over a headlight that i had a warrant for my arrest in Spotsavania Virginia a phelony,the funny thing is he didn't arrest me.I called the courts in Virginia and the woman told me if i got pulled over they would hold me until someone from Virginia could come and get me.I told the woman that i had been pulled over and he just told me to try and clear this up.Needless to say i am very confussed on what to do.I have never been arrested for anything other than misdemeaners and do not want this haunting me,please can you help me??

Sincerly,

Embalsa

You can try to get your brother-in-law to call the court and drop the charges. Otherwise you will need to retain an attorney in VA to handle this for you. I am surprised that you were not taken to jail when the officer found out that there was a warrant out for your arrest. I doubt that you will be that lucky again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back