Statue of Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needhelpnow04

Hello,

I have lived in Michigan my whole life, and I have some credit card debt that I could not pay off.

About 8 years ago my credit was perfect for a young person, then I got married and decided to have a family. That is when the problems started to happen. My wife had severe complications from the pregnancy and she had to have time off of work(non paid). To make a long story short, my wife and I could not pay for my credit card debt. Well one thing led to another and now 8 years later I still have that credit card debt. I'm not even sure how much, but I believe it s about $14,000.

We now need to move, to a better area, and I don't think I could get a loan to buy a pencil.

I do believe the statute of limitations is only 6 years in the State of Michigan for unsecured credit card debt.

What should I do? From what I've read, if I start paying off that debt, my credit will show up bad for another 7 years. I don't want to skip out, but it seems to leave me no choice.

Should I contact a lawyer and have him/her ask the credit bureau to remove these old debts from my credit record? Is this something I can do SUCCESSFULLY on my own? What type of lawyer?

Thank you for any and all help,
Needhelpnow04

Have a look here: http://greenpath.com/Home/home.htm

What you should do is contact a non profit credit counseling agency which provides free consultation. You got to watch out a bit, because a lot of bad apples are in this pot, but look for a non-profit one which is kind of accepted in the community. It looks like the above link points to one in your area.

They will help you find ways without taking money from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back