State questioning Beneficiary Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

holiday8

The dept. of Pensions and Benefits in New Jersey, is telling me that because it says "Divorced" on my father's death certificate, according to Federal law, they have to investigate before they can process my claim. Why are they saying this? He named me as the beneficiary. They admitted that they were assuming that I was his wife, at first, because I have his surname. When I corrected them on that, they said that they still have to investigate. What difference does it make if he is divorced or not?

And when you ask them, "What federal law?", what do they say?

Without knowing more, I would speculate that they need to ascertain whether his pension benefits are subject to alimony, child support, or similar liability.

And when you ask them, "What federal law?", what do they say?

Without knowing more, I would speculate that they need to ascertain whether his pension benefits are subject to alimony, child support, or similar liability.

The woman I spoke to wasn't clear about what she meant about federal law. After assuring me yesterday, that the check would be mailed in a few days, she left a long message on my answering machine, today. In it, she muttered something about Federal law, when talking about the fact that it says divorced, on the Death Certificate, even though yesterday, she said that everything was fine.

As for alimony and child support, my parents never married, and all of us are grown. Unless he married and divorced, before he met my mother, back in the 1950's.

And although this is the pensions benefits division of the state of NJ, (my father worked for the state) this is supposed to be from his insurance, not pension payments, if I understand correctly.

I am still very confused as to what is going on.

You say your parents never married, but his death certificate says he was divorced. Something doesn't add up. I would say the state is acting entirely reasonably in investigating further.

If you want to know what federal law requires them to investigate, phone up the bureau and ask that woman. If she can't give you an answer, speak to her supervisor.

I spoke to another woman in the claims department, and she says that if my father never named an ex-wife as beneficiary, (which I'm positive he didn't) then this shouldn't be an issue. But then, she said that a new statute had been passed saying that if the deceased was divorced, then they have to locate a decree of divorce. The only ones my father named as beneficiary, were my grandmother, who is deceased, and myself. I have provided her death certificate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back