Sprayed with gasoline from cut gas hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

matter2003

Hello,

I had the worst experience at a gas station in my life this past Friday. We were driving to my wife's parents home in Ohio and we stopped to get gas at a Flying J.

I pull up to the pump, put my credit card in the machine, select my fuel grade, put the pump in the gas tank, and before I can start pumping I hear what sounds like a hose spraying and feel a wetness on my pant leg. I turn around and look down and see gas spraying like a geyser from the middle of the hose. I was in stunned disbelief for what seemed like about a minute, but I finally came to and realized I was being sprayed by gasoline, and I quickly took the nozzle and put it back on the pump handle, which finally stopped it from spraying out. My pants, shoes, entire rear passenger side of the car and the entire area between the pump and my car were saturated with gasoline.

I went in and literally flipped out on the manager there, who handled it as best he could I felt. He thought I had gotten sprayed because I overflowed my tank or put in the nozzle in wrong, but when he and another maintenance guy came out, they realized it was their fault as there was an inch long gash in the hose. I made sure I took pictures of the hose before they changed it, and also of the area around the car that was saturated with gas.

I was really afraid during that time period, as I kept thinking about what would happen if I was walking past someone who decided to flick their cigarette butt on the ground near me while I was wearing gasoline soaked pants. Even someone who had static electricity on them touching me probably could have set me afire. Anyways, I am extremely irritated over this incident, and have never had anything like this happen to me. I was planning on calling their corporate office to let them know about the incident and express my displeasure, but should I do that or contact an attorney first?

If you're going to get a lawyer, you should get one first. But really, it probably doesn't really matter what order you do things in - you won't be prejudicing yourself by writing a letter without the aid of a lawyer. But what do you hope to accomplish? Other than the cost of cleaning things up, were you injured?

they realized it was their fault as there was an inch long gash in the hose.
A "gash" doesn't sound like neglected maintenance, it sounds more like a malicious prank by a previous customer. Thus expecting punitive measures is probably not going to happen. I would suggest the angle of being a displeased customer and perhaps you might get a $100 gas card from the company for your bad experience. And, as dee_dub said, you should be reimbursed for any cleaning expenses to you and your car.

Same story...

I heard my neighbors brothers daughters cousins girlfriends Aunt Millie ALMOST got hit by a train. She COULD HAVE died and she got millions.

Let it go buddy. Chalk it up to a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back