Spousal support likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtjester

In the middle of a messy divorce with a vindictive spouse. Had a lawyer, but said lawyer suddenly closed practice due to health reasons and referred me to a new lawyer. After consult, the new lawyer sent me a letter stating I would be better off finding another attorney. This was a couple weeks before my next hearing date. Unable to find a new lawyer in that time, I went into court alone. Spouse also does not have a lawyer, and did not know that I no longer had one. She argued that since I had a lawyer I should also pay for her to have one. I informed the judge of my lawyer situation, and she insisted that the court files show that I DO have a lawyer, and ordered me to pay my spouse a thousand dollars by the end of this month so that she may retain a lawyer. Spouse also insisted that I need to pay for her car payments and insurance coverage, which she is now 3 months behind on, and the judge granted that too, for a grand total of around $2500 to be paid by the end of August. My rent and monthly bills total somewhere around the $2600, which includes payments on all the debts from the marriage (outstanding utilities and such) which I am paying for and she is not. My total monthly income is $2800-$3200, so obviously I will have zero chance of hiring a new lawyer for myself, but am still being forced to pay for one for my spouse.

During this last hearing, I was surprised throughout the process as the judge (a woman) spoke sweetly and politely to my spouse and gave her every opportunity to speak, but when it was my turn to speak the judge snapped at me, talked down to me, cut me off, or didn't allow me to speak AT ALL.

My spouse and I have been married a little over 7 years as of this month, but have been separated nearly two years at this point. She is older than I am and has three children who are now grown, whom I have supported through the last few years while my wife had several affairs and did not work despite being able to. She is now claiming that I did not ALLOW her to work (not true) and based on the fact that she stayed at home, is asking the court to hold me responsible for both her car payment and insurance until the car is completely paid off, as well as pay her $1300/month in spousal support, in addition to paying for her lawyer. Her youngest child turned 18 this year, and she now has only herself to support and has been making it just fine for almost two years without my money but only this year filed for divorce and is demanding support. Any advice on what to do next is appreciated.

Sorry, unless she is unemployed, you are not garnering much sympathy. Hire a lawyer and request all the expenses be subtracted from the final distribution.

The judge based her decision to award this money on the false knowledge that I already have an attorney myself, and my wife makes minimum wage despite working full time. I do not know what information the judge was looking at, but she seemed to think that the lawyer I was referred to took on my case when in reality the woman turned me away. I went to that lawyer's office immediately after the hearing was over and informed her that the judge had her down as not showing up for court and for some reason thinks she is my lawyer. That lawyer said she would get the matter straightened out right away, because no paperwork was ever filed with the courts saying that she was my attorney. I am wondering if once the issue is straightened out with the courts and the judge learns that I in fact do not have a lawyer, will she reverse her order for me to pay for a lawyer for my wife? It seems strange that a judge would insist I pay for a lawyer for my wife when I myself do not have funds for representation.

You are now in the realm of guessing what a particular judge will decide. No message board could tell you that. I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back