Spousal Abandonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the situation. I have been married for almost three years. Three weeks ago my husband and I closed on a house in which I put 40K down as a downpayment and he put nothing. After closing he stopped coming home for about a week and then showed up to say he didn't want to be with me anymore, he left in an extremely violent manner punching holes in the wall and smashing down a door. I have not seen or heard from him since. Most of his belongings are still in the house.

I am waiting for him to file the separation agreement as I am not the one who wanted to split and was willing to go to marriage counselling etc. However I am uneasy living in the house right now knowing that he is violent and can come by at any time. Can I legally change the locks? Should I file a missing persons report or a police report saying he left in a violent manner?

I am planning on paying the mortgage payment by myself, but if it comes down to it and we have to sell the property will I be entitled to my payments back? Am I legally allowed to rent any of the rooms in the house when legally it is still half his?

Thank you.

Its your marital home and his belongings are inside yes he can enter no you cant change locks. If you rin fear of your safety you can seek a restrainning order to keep him from you until he completely moves out. By the way is not a good situation you need to file for Divorce "today"! dont wait for him.

Yes it is your house so you can rent rooms out if you want. Of course your husband does not have to be happy about it but I wiuld get roommates if you are going to have trouble paying the mortgage alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back