speeding ticket for going 70 in a 45 in GA. 18 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwils1528

I received a speeding ticket for going 70 in a 45. I'm 18 and I'm in GA. At 25 mph over the speed limit I think my license will be suspended, but I've also read that there may be a way to get the speed reduced below 25 mph over, is this possible?

Im going through a similar thing at the moment. The bottom line, is all the state wants is your money, if they yank your license thats one less person they can ticket. Request a court date, do not plead guilty on your ticket. When the big day comes dress professionally and look like a responsible young kid, not some hoodlum with your pants hanging below youre arse. I wouldnt worry about you losing your license especially if this is your first offense, however if you have a record they may not be so lenient on you.
You just need to request a court date and plead not guilty. The first time at court the judge calls your name, calls out what you are accuse of, and then asks how you plead. You must say "not guilty" if you do say guilty, your stuck wih your original ticket and fine right away. Most of the times after you plead not guilty to the judge, you then need to see a DA (district attourney, this happens the same day as your first court visit usually). They will then offer you some sort of deal, most of the times they reduce your infraction, whether they offer to say you werent going that fast or change the infraction all together. You can accept their offer, or reject it, if you reject it you will then need to request to have a jury trial (and have to go to court again, and pay another court fee). At this court hearing the judge hears your case and the ticketing officer must appear, NOW THIS IS WHERE IT CAN END GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU.
For one if you were rude to the officer, chances are they will show up and will remember you, and RARELY will the judge decide against the officer. However, that being said, there is also a chance your officer does not show, or cannot provide sufficient information to your judge regarding the stop. if they do not show the case gets thrown out, you win, no fine at all, no affect on your driving license. My suggestion is if you were pulled over at night go to court early in the morning, there is a chance your officer works nights and will not want to wake up just to go to your court case. You can take the DA's bargain and STILL pay something, or you can ask for a trial where the cop must show up... this is where you could pay THE ENTIRE FINE, or none of it at all. Although, if you see your cop before the trial begins they may even offer to help you out and suggest the judge lower your ticket, or may ask you recieve the infraction the DA originally offered you.
The most important thing to remember is "moving violations" are the violations you wind up recieving points on your license for (and thus your insurance will increase). Moving violations are speeding, disobeying traffic control devices (no U turn signs, turn only lanes), Running red lights/stop signs, and of course speeding, pretty much anything that you can do while driving. IF they offer to ticket you for no insurance, or out of date inspection/plates, or any sort of parking violation, I absolutely suggest you take that. The end result is you will most likely need to pay some sort of fine, and if you can get yours reduced at all, I would take that route instead of trial. If you dont win trial you pay to court fees plus your fine, which gets costly very quickly.

This is how things are handled in New York, I am unsure of Georgia laws, but I hope this points you in the right direction, or at least gives you an idea of what you should expect.

Okay, thanks for your response. This is my first offense ever. I've done some research and found out that with me being under 21 years old and going 25 mph over the speed limit, that is 4 points on my license which means it will be suspended. The thing is, when the officer asked me why I was pulled over I said "going too fast" like an idiot, although I was extremely polite to the officer and he did seem to sympathize with me a bit. But does this mean I have already admitted my guilt and theres no way to plead not guilty?

Also, I've acquired the number for the district attorney's office, is there anyway that I could get in contact with the DA and make some kind of deal before the court appearance? or at least get an idea of what to do in my position? I'm not as concerned with paying the fine as much as I am with not getting my license taken away.

Okay, thanks for your response. This is my first offense ever. I've done some research and found out that with me being under 21 years old and going 25 mph over the speed limit, that is 4 points on my license which means it will be suspended. The thing is, when the officer asked me why I was pulled over I said "going too fast" like an idiot, although I was extremely polite to the officer and he did seem to sympathize with me a bit. But does this mean I have already admitted my guilt and theres no way to plead not guilty?

Also, I've acquired the number for the district attorney's office, is there anyway that I could get in contact with the DA and make some kind of deal before the court appearance? or at least get an idea of what to do in my position? I'm not as concerned with paying the fine as much as I am with not getting my license taken away.

Dude, just plead not guilty.

You're over thinking this way, too much!

You're not charged with murder, rape, or treason.

Plead not guilty.

It is all a little game.

As the poster above said, they just want your money.

They want to get it without a fight.

By pleading not guilty, it queers the system.

If you really want to queer the system, hire a lawyer.

You could probably get one for about $200-300.

You do that, your license won't be suspended, if you hire the right lawyer.

Ask around.

Someone will put you on to a lawyer that will get this taken care of legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back