Speeding ticket 30 MPH over speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeitaway

My nephew was caught speeding and given a speeding ticket for driving 30 MPH over the speed limit I think he was charged with reckless driving. I wanted to find out if you can get arrested for driving just 20 or 30 MPH over the speed limit and getting a speeding ticket or maybe there is something else he is not telling me about why he was arrested like a DUI.

In many jurisdictions, a bad attitude can get you physically arrested.
That said, in most jurisdictions (I hesitate to say all), reckless driving can result in the citation and a physical arrest.
Whatever Junior may have bene charged with is subject to public review.
You, as well as anyone else, is always free to attend Junior's next court hearing and hear for yourself the EXACT nature of his charges.
Or, Google the court's website and most matters are able to be seen.
Bottom line, a bad attitude, as well as the substantive charge could have resulted in Junior being physically arrested and cited.

He might want to talk to a lawyer & see what he/she might be able to do for him - the lawyer will try & get the best outcome possible. If he is a minor, you might want to see about getting a lawyer for him.

In California I believe 20 over the limit is a misdemeanor for reckless driving. The arrest isn't automatic, but it's at the discretion of the officer. I believe exceeding 100 is another degree of reckless that is more likely to lead to a physical arrest.

It depends on the state. Some states allow an arrest for traffic offenses involving speed, others - like CA - generally do not. And, in CA speed alone cannot be used to charge for reckless driving - it must contain some other element(s) in addition to the speed. And, reckless might not involve excessive speed at all!

If your nephew is an adult, you should be able to find out what the charge is. Laws and processes vary by state, so knowing the specific offense charged and the state would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back