Spammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

army judge

Super Moderator
Hello everyone:

Professor, the spammers are back with a vengeance, and have put a new twist on an old scam.

They are posting their lousy, spam advertisements in a clever way.

If you aren't using a laptop and browser, you might not even know what they've done.

They are posting their disgusting advertisements using "java" code and hiding them in their signatures.

A post limit ALONE would only encourage them to post more useless nonsense.

So, here's a solution that might help.

1 - Don't allow anyone to have a signature line until they have been a member for 180 days.

2 - Don't allow anyone to post a link until they have been a member for ninety days.

3 - Don't allow anyone to post anything but TEXT until they have been a member for ninety days.

4 - Limit new members (or unregistered posters) to a two post per day limit for the first 60 days.
4A - In the case of unregistered posters, the two day per limit never goes away.
4B - This will encourage posters to register.

5 - If someone (identified above) has the need to post more than twice a day, a moderator can extend their posting limit upon request to two additional posts, but by request only.

I am sure we can tweak these ideas, so please, let's discuss it.

I can tell you that if you do nothing, these spammers will ruin the forum.

I have seen this occur on three other forums on which I participate, if it isn't nipped in the bud quickly.
These creatures are like panhandlers, they pass on easy marks to their pals.

On another board we've debated the merits of taking them out back behind the barn and shooting them without benefit of trial....

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Some suggestions:
1. First 5 posts must be moderator-approved before appearing. Most spammers spam on their 1st posting.
2. Enable more trusted people to delete spam posts immediately so that others don't see it.
3. Require new account setup to include more human-interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back