Son's College fund provided by Grandma at birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

modlisa

My son's Grandmother bought him Goverment tax exemt bonds at his birth in 1989 that would mature for his college education. This is what she did for her children and 8 older grandchildren including a grandchild she only found out existed when he was 17 and ready to start college as she was highly educated and believing in the importance of an education as she had done for the 8 other older grandkids when she was alive paying thier tuition and expenses, some for up to 6 yrs in CA state institutions and universities. Knowing that as her youngest grandchild she would be not around at the time he started college to pay for him so she invested in the bonds for him. She passed away 4 years ago when my son was 16 and at the time we were never given any other info and assumed the matured bonds would be available to him on his 18th b-day as he had allways been told by this father. Only thing we were ever toldby his dad was the bonds "were doing nicely" but no idea of what we had to work with or the value.We trusted his father but when we probed him further he backtracked and said I was mistaken the bonds were never bought- to they were lost to I am crazy..Now my son is 20 and has been attending jr college for 3 semesters and is recieving money from his Dad every month from 300-800 per month but still without giving us any idea how long it will last or why he is in control of this money as an absentee parent living in another state who has seen my son maybe 5 days total in the last 4 years and never lived with us since he was 2 years or even paid child support and as he has never worked and allways lived off his family money and never paid taxes making himself look poor with no income when he was living abroad for many years on family funds. It is getting very frustrating for us to plan anything concrete without knowing what there is to work with and this little monthly dole is not enough to pay for a dorm or even decent student housing roomate situation when he cannot cover 1st last and deoposit so he has ended up in three inapropriate rooming situations..and now is ready to quit college. He is so frustrated with the situation but afraid to ask, not wanting to displease his absentee father who when I ask just blows up at me .. I want to file a petition in the OC probate court where she passed away to attempt to open up the Family trust and find out really was left for him and what happened to it..What I think happened is that he cashed the bonds in and invested them in the stock market and won't let go or gambled them away in the market as he has been known to do in the past. What can my son do so we can make clear plans for his educational future..Is petitioning the court the correct thing to do? Can we file it on-line and also to make things more complicated the dad and sister who is the executor of the Family Trust both moved to Maui to retire in a house they recently built..so they no longer reside in OC but still own property there..

You have no case. You have no standing. If the facts are as you allege, grandmother merely promised to do this. She had no duty to do this. There was no contract. You can open a court case. Anyone can do that. In the end, you're only out more money, because the case will have filing fees associated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back