1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

song lyrics on merchandise Copyright

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by Dan P, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Dan P

Dan P Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Tennessee
    I am wanting to place the first line of a song on a piece of merchandise to sell (for example - "look at them yo yo's" from the song Money for Nothin' by Dire Straits).

My question is threefold:

First, can I use a singular lyric in this manner if I make NO MENTION of the song title and/or artist either on the merchandise itself or on any medium (like a website) promoting the sale of the item?

Second, can I use a singular lyric in this manner if the song title and/or artist IS referenced either on the item itself or on any medium promoting the sale of the item?

Third, does the referencing of the song title and/or the artist make me more likely or less likely to be liable to copyright infringement?

Thanks!

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I'm going to ask you to hold for a proper response from our site owner, the lovable, respected, accomplished law professor.

Your question is in his area of legal expertise.

His answers are always worth the wait.