Son Going to a Non Accredited College

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbeckette

My ex-husband has stopped paying child support since my son turned 18. He is attending a non accredited bible college and I have asked him to continue to pay his child support since my son is still attending school. In the divorce decree, it stated that he would pay x amount of dollars w/o any refernce to stopping at age 18.

What are the WV child laws on paying support while a child attends college?

Thank You,

You need to look up West Virginia Code 48-11-103: Child Support Beyond the age Eighteen. It states what the law is. You would have to look at your papers and call your child support office to verify. You will probably have to file contempt of court charges but I'm not sure. Unless your ex can prove emancipation laws in your state.

Some states provide for college in regards to child support. My husband pays support in one of those states: Indiana.

Good Luck.

Unless the decree specifically states he is to pay child support past 18 or as long as the child is enrolled in school full time, then your husband does not have to pay. He is only obligated to go by the decree.

Children in most states (excluding NY) are adults are 18 therefore CS usually stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back